The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting my new 75 and I was considering adding a koralia-type power head/wavemaker to increase flow, but I was just curious if they are deemed unsafe for fry/shrimp because of the lack of filter coverage of the ‘intake’.

I recognize there are other ways to increase flow, which I may do if necessary.

Any experience/tips appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
I would say generally speaking "Yes" they are safe for shrimp. The inlet cage around the impeller distributes the sucking power well. And with the open design, most likely any shrimp that manages to get into the cage just gets blown out after a while.

As for fish fry, it depends, some are more mobile than others, but I would not risk it. There are plenty of ways to circulate water that allow for a nice sponge as an inlet strainer.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say generally speaking "Yes" they are safe for shrimp. The inlet cage around the impeller distributes the sucking power well. And with the open design, most likely any shrimp that manages to get into the cage just gets blown out after a while.

As for fish fry, it depends, some are more mobile than others, but I would not risk it. There are plenty of ways to circulate water that allow for a nice sponge as an inlet strainer.

Great points. I saw the expensive current USA ones have prefilters available. Which means I can either use those or DIY ones with sponge. Thanks for the input.

If anyone has filtered a circulation pump/wavemaker/koralia id love to see it or hear about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.