The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
All peaceful community fish.
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have purchased two small wave makers and they have both quit on me. Now, I'm trying to decide if I should just stop using them again.

I didn't have any for years, and when I do use them, I point them toward the front of the tank so that it creates turbulence at the surface without blowing my plants too strongly. The fish seem to like it.

Any recommendations? If you think I should get a new one, any recommendations on some reliable brands?

Thanks,
D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wave maker = circulation pump?

If so, then Tunze is the brand with the lowest price vs best performance and longevity. I use two model 6015 in a 36" long 75g tank on an alternating controller, which is about the right amount of flow.

I've used similar pumps from Aqueon and Hydor, and they're not worth the lower prices, as I had to replace them pretty quickly anyway.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I bought a Freesea 1050 GPM which was strong, but okay the way I positioned it. The first one lasted 3 weeks; Amazon replaced it with another one and that one lasted a week.

I like the fact that the water gets circulated around the tank with no dead areas.

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
I used Tunze exclusively when I did reefing but have never tried a wave maker in a freshwater aquarium. The Tunze rep will pretty much send you out any part that goes bad should you have any trouble. I agree they're worth the extra $. In my own tanks, these would be way more flow than I need, plus I have shrimp in most tanks. Shrimp and big powerheads are not a good combination. I do use a powerful air pump on a timer in my main tanks to keep things stirred up and eliminate dead zones if that might be a workable solution.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used Tunze exclusively when I did reefing but have never tried a wave maker in a freshwater aquarium. The Tunze rep will pretty much send you out any part that goes bad should you have any trouble. I agree they're worth the extra $. In my own tanks, these would be way more flow than I need, plus I have shrimp in most tanks. Shrimp and big powerheads are not a good combination. I do use a powerful air pump on a timer in my main tanks to keep things stirred up and eliminate dead zones if that might be a workable solution.
Thanks for the recommendation. I was using the smallest one that I could get, putting it on the same side of the tank as the filter, and then putting it 1/4 of the way down in the tank and pointing to the front of the tank. My plants would just have a very gentle waving motion with the front of the tank taking most of the energy. There would be a wave on the surface as well. I think I'll get another one. You're the second person to recommend Tunze. I appreciate your response.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts