The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the minimum watts per gallon (wpg) needed for all or most carpet plants in 10g? I talked to an LFS owner and he's got many planted tanks along with great carpet plants. He said the minimum should at least be 5 wpg but I read elsewhere that 3 wpg is good. I plan on having glosso/HC "Cuba"/ something minuta. I already have 36w PC catalina light fixture.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
First of all, forget everything you were told about "watts per gallon." That's yesterday's news. It's not accurate and leads to problems.

That being said, your 36w catalina will be perfect for almost any carpet plant, provided you will be injecting CO2. If you won't be adding CO2, you can try dosing Excel daily and still be able to grow a good selection of carpets. Of the ones you listed, "something minuta" (I'm assuming you're talking about Marsilea) is the least-demanding, so choose that one if you don't plan on adding CO2.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is marsilea minuta! Thanks! The lighting fixture w/ the legs is 2 inches above the tank. Is that okay?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm currently growing MM in three tanks on fluorite.
A 20g high (around 40W T8 lighting, pressurized CO2) , a 20g long (around 35W T8 ODNO, , pressurized CO2), a 10g (2*13W spiral CFL, irregular excel).
The tanks with pressurized CO2 are showing excellent growth. The growth in the 10g is maybe 1/5th of the other ones.
I had tried elatine triandra, in the 10g that grew very tall instead of compact.
I've tried e. tenellus micro, under 1*39W T5HO (the other ballast was burnt) with pressurized CO2 in a 29g, where it grew very tall, instead of short and compact.
Just my two cents...:)...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what the LFS also told me, I can grow most of the carpet plants but they will grow tall instead being short and compact. So is the mm compact in your 10g? Pics would be cool :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts