The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In figuring out what u have (watts per liter/gallon). When u have multiple bulbs do u factor in each one or all as one? Is 2 - 20 watt bulbs counted as 40watts?

Does the bulb being closer or further affect this? I don't even want to get into PAR maybe another time.

·
Super Moderator
15,892 Posts
Level of light is determined by PAR, not Watts Per Gallon, which is outtdated and not applicable to modern lighting. So WPG isn't really a thing anymore, unfortunately.

Take a look at the sticky in the Lighting section and you'll get a quick primer. It's not difficult to comprehend. And the fixture and bulbs you're using are likely already tested so you can find out easily what level of lighting you have.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Level of light is determined by PAR, not Watts Per Gallon, which is outtdated and not applicable to modern lighting. So WPG isn't really a thing anymore, unfortunately.

Take a look at the sticky in the Lighting section and you'll get a quick primer. It's not difficult to comprehend. And the fixture and bulbs you're using are likely already tested so you can find out easily what level of lighting you have.
I'm asking cuz I got the old school bulbs T12s and I'm only gonna be able to get T8s, I don't really have dough for MH set up and a T5 set up I don't have a ballast for T5s. I get all my lighting stuff for free so I really can't complain.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What specific fixture and bulbs do you have and what are the dimensions of your tank?

That will allow us to help you figure out how much lighting you've got.
K I have a new tank just finnished and I have a 4' light fixture with a ballast and sockets set up for 3 T8 bulbs rated at 32 watts each will this be ok on a tank that is about 55gals+ ? This would be concidered low light right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts