The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
There is only 1 true water sprite. It is a rossette plant. The others that people also commonly refer to as water sprite are not they are stem plants.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ceratopteris cornuta is called the water sprite and looks like the image(s) pictured above. There were four recognized species: C. thalictroides, C. cornuta, C. pteridoides, and C. richardii. Some taxonomists think there is only one species that is highly variable in growth form. (Lloyd, 1974 - Systematics of the genus Ceratopteris Brongn. (Parkeriaceae)).

Nemosreef, could you point me to a taxonomic reference for the specific species you are referencing? My taxonomy info is probably out-of-date.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I feel bad, but not that bad. Haha. $6 will ship them to anywhere in the states. My plant just finished settling in. It's putting out one to two huge leaves a week, one of which is usually a mass of roots by the next and needs removed.

Edit: This week's babies are spoken for! More to come!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Talk about a fast grower. The picture above was taken on the 30th, a bit over a week later:

It's putting out a frond every other day, each with larger stalks initially. This next one may have me pulling the mother plant out and leaving all the babies. The stalk is at least a cm, if not more. Something's working for this plant in my tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.