The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
Waterbox Frag 105.4 High Tech
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Your scissors must be busy, that is a ton of stems! Love a good dutch. How are you finding owning it compared to other types of scapes?
I honestly just keep my scissors on my desk right near the tank and do little trims on a daily basis now. It really isn't too bad to maintain overall. The only things that annoy me and I don't look forward to are when I do larger rescapes or replant large groups of plants. Those things take quite a bit of time and a lot of care to find the healthiest stems, trim everything, replant, etc etc

The biggest learnings for me while maintaining this tank are along the lines of:

• Use turkey baster / siphon to clean detritus from the substrate layer. This helps keep things really clean and prevents my N/P from going through the roof. When things get dirty I notice issues in a few plant species. Keeping the tank as clean as possible is key
  • Trim regularly to prevent buildup of unhealthy bottom stems etc. Lots of frequent maintenance sessions is way better than letting things get bad and needing to spend 3+ hours replanting large groups of things
  • Planning for stem growth over time and trimming to encourage that growth at the right times
  • Not dealing with hardscape is really nice. Makes cleaning things and making changes much easier

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
Waterbox Frag 105.4 High Tech
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yeah I am constantly propagating stems and moving things around. Doing a little bit of that every few days goes a long way and I much prefer it vs long multiple hour sessions messing with my entire setup.

I'll probably get lazy eventually and lean towards slower growing plants that don't need as much maintenance.

Right now I am LOVING my bacopa colorata because it grows really well for me, grows relatively slowly, and is super easy for me to trim and propagate. I also love my blyxa because it grows fairly slowly and doesn't need to be maintained. Compared to something like my red rotala that can be picky, run into random issues, grow very quickly at times, needs to be trimmed and pruned much more frequently, etc etc

21 - 25 of 25 Posts