No pictures today, but some interesting learnings from me.
I noticed that after dosing lean again, stems look much much happier, and there is a stunted section of the stem with smaller leaves and diatoms on them. The pink colour is coming back and growth looks better as I've been dosing lean.
One thing I am still trying to figure out is the GSA. Still there on old crypt leaves, but none of the glass. I have no problem snipping old leaves off as I need, and honestly they are producing keaves faster than I need to remove the under performing leaves, so still net good.
I've been messing with the light spectrum as I've read on a few occasions that the green spectrum doesn't really contribute to photosynthesis, and also has a lower efficiency converting electricity to light. So I've dialed it back.
I'm not sure if this is the right way forward. If plants have a hard time using green light, won't algae as well? If I like the look of the light better with green light, how much will that affect plant and algae growth?
I've got some more research to do on this topic, but hopefully it will improves my understanding.
Another interesting article I read was from the 2hr aquarist. Topic was the affects of light levels and co2 on plant growth, and the key finding was in both cases more light yields more plant growth... duh! But it is a little confidence booster to up my light output. I've had it so low for so long and have no experience with anything more than 10 par really...
I think I had 6-8 par at substrate level (in the middle, directly under the light). So bringing that up to 15 or even 30 is still considered low. But is 3X what I had initially so I'm re-learning how to balance.
It's far as I'm concerned the low tech balancing methods for the plant mass I have is changing the light intensity, and fertilizer together to find what works best in the system.
My plan however, is to keep increasing the light without changing my fertilizer dosing routine and see how far I can take it before there are negative effects.
Par will go up bit by bit, with duration still at 8 hrs. Let's experiment!