The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Faulty api test?????? I have a 20 gallon preparing rebuild going planted (start over). I have a 7 yr old goldfish 6 in long (yes I know to big but I have no room for more. He will soon be in a pond. Equipment aqueon quiet flow 20 w gravel inside ammonia specialty pad. Also 2 lucky bamboo are flourishing within the tank. I do weekly 5 gallon water changes/or if I notice a lot of waste. And I always seem to have .25 ppm ammonia 0 nitrite and an embarrassing amount of nitrate(40 a the highest) but my ammonia never increases or declined. I tested my tap water and had a similar result. Is my ammonia ok?? If so can I use previous filter cartridges to cycle my new canister when I start over??
To whoever reads this and responds thanks in advance I have only been here a week and asked one question but have learned a lot.
I will attach a picture of the test on the right is tap on left is tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
API tests seem to be notorious for giving false positives on ammonia (.25 ppm when it's actually 0 ppm). Try doing a test with water you know has no ammonia in it to see if there's any false positives being made.

If it's fine, then you can use the previous filter cartridges.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi @Aquaman1744

Are you by any chance using Seachem Prime?

Anon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.