The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My water wisteria is turning yellow with the new leaves at the tip. Also i see brown patches (may be diatom algae??) on the leaves. Got this brown patch all of a sudden yesterday.

Can you let me know what they are and how to avoid them? Please advice.

Here are my tank details:
10 gallon with no fish at the moment (2 months old, cycled)
Life-Glo Fluorescent Bulb, 15 Watt, 18 Inches (full spectrum)
Tank is closer to a window but no direct sunlight
Half planted (for about 2+ weeks)
DIY CO2 (0.5 bps)
Eco complete with inert substrate on top
No other ferts yet (thinking to go dry micronutrients route or root tab)

Plan is to keep my tank in low light with DIY CO2 and ferts (dry micronutrients or root tab)

Attachments

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
I guess eco complete is not inert. I have the gravel on top but beneath there is eco complete.

Also I dose ammonia to keep the cycle going and do partial water changes bi-weekly.
Eco is pretty much inert. You dosing co2 and giving light. you need to dose Macros and Micros or at least provide root tabs or Seachem Flourish for the micros and fish waste and food for the macros.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
He's not dosing anything in inert substrate and there's nothing in the tank, plus he using co2. He needs to dose period. What's the point of telling him to dose Iron. That will not solve his problem, just because the plant looks yellow.
Yea, agree somewhat but the green veins on the chlorotic new leaves is fairly indicative of a macro deficiency (iron,maganese,magnesium).

I also assumed Eco complete had "some" value.. apparently not..Plants are only 2 weeks old and light is "relatively" low..
Half planted (for about 2+ weeks)
and has some Nitrates by now.
Also I dose ammonia to keep the cycle going and do partial water changes bi-weekly.
OK add iron and root tabs (half kidding) or dosing.. ;)

Is Eco-Complete inert substrate? How come? - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Further update

Further update to my tank:
4 CPDs (dont know where the 5th is gone)
PPS-Pro dosing for low light
Removed the driftwood (too much diatoms on it and felt somehow this could be a source)
Cranked up CO2 to 2 bps
Completely planted now (to outcompete diatoms)
may introduce some chili rasboras next week.

While I am updating my tank, wisteria is now completely covered with diatoms (see pic) and also on the gravels. I am planning to leave it like it and hoping them to be outcompeted. Meanwhile, I am open to take suggestions if i can do something else better or correct.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.