The Planted Tank Forum banner

Water Wisteria Stems Turning Brown

9821 12
Hey guys, I just noticed my water wisteria stems are turning a tee brown, one stem was really brown and I just tossed it but another is browning as well. I recently trimmed it so could that be the problem? Furthermore these cloudy orbs are in my aquarium and I'm wondering if there's anyway to save the wisteria. I dose excel and flourish, please let me know thanks.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Are these new plants? Are the leaves turning brown? Its common for wisteria to be grown emersed, if this is a new plant it could be changing to the submerged form. If its not a new plant it could be a lack in nutrients, wisteria is notorious for being a nutrient hog particularly nitrates. More info and pics would be helpful: tank size, light, co2?, water parameters ect...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No these plants have been around for a few months. Tank size 6.6 w/ finnex fugeray. Water Parameters are all steady and maybe its the nitrates issue as I had a swarm of amazon frogbit that loved nitrates too. Will it come back?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
So just leave the plant in? Even though the stem is turning brown bottom up? It has no leaves on that particular stem
Cut the stem off at the sub, you do have the crown at the base of the roots exposed right?

As long as there is a new shoot starting it should rebound, mine always do. I'Ve move mine around a bit and it seems like every time I do I deal with the same problem and end up trimming way down, but it's always bounced back.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's no crown on my wisteria (we're talking about bulbs like on anubias right? And I'll cut it next water change. There are new shoots yes even with the browning at the root of the wisteria.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah many people refer ribosomes as crowns aha. yes its exposed. Its been doing fine for the past 2 months but just recently some are browning. So I just leave itin and hope for the best I assume? Also any ideas on the cloudy orbs?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Wisteria doesn't have a crown. The roots also have no need to be exposed.

DesignZ, what you have is a cutting or of wisteria that has too much stem still on it. Cut the browning part off just below where the roots are coming out. That bottom part is rotting because it is below the roots and therefore has no nutrient uptake.

Reread all the posts and see that these are not new plants. My suggestion still applies: cut off the stem just below some roots. Remove the old section of rotting stem. Replant top of plant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.