Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just now I test my water and got the fallowing results:

• Ammonia-0ppm
  • Nitrate-0ppm
  • Nitrite-0.12ppm
  • pH-7.4ppm

Is this possible to have 0 Nitrate and 0 ammonia? I always for get which one there should never be zero of. :help: I checked the Ammonia test indicator by putting a drop of Ammonia in water, and it's working I got a result besides zero, but I'm not sure how to test the Nitrate indicator.

What's the cycle again. Ammonia to...Nitrate or Nitrite to...???

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's probably registering as not being cycled because I'm running a newly installed sponge filter during the day to reduce the surface aeration; to keep the CO2 in. And at night I run both the sponge and the power filter(that I'm taking off eventually as soon as the sponge is established and can handle the load of the whole tank). But for now I guess I will turn the power filter on and let it go, it's better having the plants suffer a little while, then having all of my fish die.

Thanks over_stock for the answer!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
If you are turning off a filter, it is likely killing the bacteria in it. You are now in a non cycled tank.

BTW, what kind of sponge filter has less surface agitation that a HOB? Are you not using an air pump to power it?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HOB's and sponges have will have the same agitation when properly fitted on the right size tank, but I have a 400 gph filter of a 20 gallon tank. The output on the filter is so strong that it creates a significant current that will overtime pull my plants from the substrate, along with class 5 rapids on the surface all day long. :)

When I first set up the tank I had 26 goldfish, therefore I needed the extra filtration. It was also a regular tank setup, so I wasn't worried about CO2 off gassing. But now the goldfish are in the pond and the tank has tetras and guppies with fry and it planted and scaped. If money wasn't a option I would love to get a canister. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts