The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I get a little 'expert' help with some test results?

These results are from my 29 gallon planted freshwater tank that houses Neon Tetras, Corydoras and a Rainbow Shark. Ive had several fish die in the past couple of months and Im not really sure why. I had 4 Peppered Corydoras--they are all dead now, I had 9 Neon Tetras-down to 2. The Julii Corydoras and Rainbow Shark have been super healthy so far ( KNOCK ON WOOD )

I dose using the EI method with Seachem products. I perform a 50% water change every Sunday using tap water treated with Prime ( 3 drops per gallon ) I feed 3 different types of flakes, sinking pellets, sinking wafers, freeze dried bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp--not all at the same time obviously--they get something different every night.

Test results from about 15 minutes ago. I flushed a dead Peppered Cory and euthanized a Neon Tetra that appeared to have NTD--based on the fact that he was losing his colors and had the typical white/grey patch along with being a "loner" for the past couple of days.

GH 4 drops
KH 1 drop? I dont remember what color it was supposed to be--but it went to a pale shade of the second color after only one drop. Ive never used this test before, may have misused it but I did it 3 times with the same results.

pH 6.5 using Tetra kit, 6.8 with API kit.

Phosphate 2.0 ppm
Nitrates 10
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0

Anything in those results jump out at you as bad? or unhealthy for fish/plants?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think you are killing your biological filter with your tap water, water changes. I would treat your tap water with Prime (8 drops per gallon) and age it for a week before your water changes.

Just a thought, I went through something similar.

Tim

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
i dont think you need to age your water. just try to make sure that your tap water is close to the same temp as your tank is. and if your tank is moderately planted then your bio filter isnt really as needed as in an unplanted tank.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Many people do 50% water changes direct from the tap, putting a full tank dose of Prime in the tank before starting the tap water refill. Not everyone even tries to match the tank water temperature.

I see nothing bad about your water test results. But, what is the tank water temperature? "Peppered cories" like cooler water than many fish, so having a high water temperature can be hard on them.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tank temp may in fact be the problem. I have it at 80* from an outbreak of Ich from a few months ago. I never even thought about that. My LFS keeps their tanks at 82* at all times, they said it was to keep Ich and other problems at a minimum.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I had 4 peppered cories which I kept in a 10 gallon tank, but the tank water stayed at 80F+ most of the time due to the heat from the powerhead in the tank. One cory died fairly soon.

The second one died in about month. Later I put them in my riparium, much more water. That tank has two powerheads plus a heater in it. The temperature stays at 78F, possibly high for the cory. After a couple of months one more died. The survivor is still alive and active. From what I read about that particular cory, they like cooler water than other cories, something I learned only after I lost my first one. My impression is that they are not as flexible about the conditions in the tank as most cories are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts