The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum, but have found it very helpful.

I do have a question about water changes. I have a water softener in my house, so I use the water from the outside faucet. Normally the temperature is similar to my tank, but since we have had a bit of winter the outside water temp is quite a bit lower.

Any suggestions on how to warm up the temperature easily and efficiently? I've tried leaving the jugs sitting in the house, but the house isn't warm enough to raise the temperature of the water above 68. Still a little cool. Any suggestions are welcome.

Heather

·
Registered
930 Posts
How big is your tank?
Depending on how big your tank is and how much water you change you could always buy some cheapy heater and stick them in there for a while.

I used to do this with my little 30gal. Hvae you tried mixed your inside water and outside water, like a 50/50 ratio? You could pour hot water into the outside cold water and see what the temp is then.

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
If you can, add the water slowly. The heater will kick in, and a few degrees lower temp usually don't hurt anyone.

Some fish actually start spawning when they are hit with some cool, fresh water. Others can handle much lower temps than you think. All depends of course, if they are stressed out to start with they might get ich and other sicknesses if temp changes make things worse.

You could get a stronger heater too and just plug it in when the cold water is added to the tank.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
i think a 200 watt heater and a 5 gallon bucket will do you wonders.

i take my 55 gallon heater out(200 watts) and stick it in the WC bucket amd stir the water for a few minutes. if your heater works well, then that 200 watts should heat the water up fast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. My tank is 40 gal. I think the heater and bucket idea is a good one. I will buy a heater and try that. I thought it would take longer to heat. Thanks again for your help.

Heather

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I am new to this forum, but have found it very helpful.

I do have a question about water changes. I have a water softener in my house, so I use the water from the outside faucet. Normally the temperature is similar to my tank, but since we have had a bit of winter the outside water temp is quite a bit lower.

Any suggestions on how to warm up the temperature easily and efficiently? I've tried leaving the jugs sitting in the house, but the house isn't warm enough to raise the temperature of the water above 68. Still a little cool. Any suggestions are welcome.

Heather
You could try one of those Python type siphon drain/fill tubes and connect it to the hose outside for water changes. Allow it to fill very slowly through this and the temperature in the tank won't drop too much. I just have it dribble on the heater itself and the light stays on to heat up the water some directly. I do exactly this for my 37 gallon tank and it's loads better than using buckets. I just drop some dechlorinator into the tank before the fill. No one (fish) seems to suffer. When there isn't such a big temp differential, then I fill it pretty quickly and my 50% water change takes like 10-15 minutes!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What a wonderful idea. :angel:

I use to use a python when I had a 75 gallon tank. Before the water softener was installed, so I already have one.
This will be great during the summer. I knew there was a better way to change the water. My back will be very happy.

How slow do you refill your tank. Also have you ever had problems with the heater not being completely submerged? Can't they break if they aren't under water?

I'm learning so much about the basics. Can't wait to learn more. I'm such a newbie :redface:

Heather

1 - 8 of 8 Posts