The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience/ advice on keeping floating water sprite, I read in the plant profiles that that is how it is meant to be, so I saw this as an opportunity to start hiding up some of the hardware in my 30 gal, so I twist tied a bunch to my intake strainer tube. However it is getting kicked around a little by my outflow and a bubble stone underneath it. Will it do ok like this? Or find a new home for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yeah, Water Sprite is pretty much indestructible when you float it and it will grow like CRAAAZZZYYY! I start with a tiny piece about an inch long. Float it on the top. Don't cut the roots when they start to hang down. In 2-3 weeks you'll have a giant gob of the stuff! It's great for making small, shy fish feel more secure in your tank. Eventually, it gets too big and I throw out the entire plant except for a little piece about an inch long, and then the whole process starts over again.....

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
The water sprite I have does real good in calm waters. When I move it to areas that have more surface water movement from my filters it tends not to do so well and starts to fall apart. I would monitor it and see how it's doing. If it starts to turn brown I would move it to an area further away from your outflow.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The water sprite I have does real good in calm waters. When I move it to areas that have more surface water movement from my filters it tends not to do so well and starts to fall apart. I would monitor it and see how it's doing. If it starts to turn brown I would move it to an area further away from your outflow.

Thanks for the insight, I may turn the outflow nozzle anyway, so I don't have to take such an easily avoided setback

·
Registered
329 Posts
In my tanks Water Sprite thrives regardless of water flow. In gentle current it will spread out and lay flat on the surface. This makes a very pretty effect, like green lace lying the surface of the water. On the other hand, in fast current it tends to tumble like a tumbleweed or like clothes in the dryer, and it grows in all directions creating twisty tangled cloud of plant mass. Either way, calm or fast moving water, it grows like crazy.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my tanks Water Sprite thrives regardless of water flow. In gentle current it will spread out and lay flat on the surface. This makes a very pretty effect, like green lace lying the surface of the water. On the other hand, in fast current it tends to tumble like a tumbleweed or like clothes in the dryer, and it grows in all directions creating twisty tangled cloud of plant mass. Either way, calm or fast moving water, it grows like crazy.

I have mine in a gentle client right now and my dojo loach is using it as his new lounge pad

·
Registered
301 Posts
Honestly water sprite has turned out to be almost a weed IMO. I have difficulty keeping up with pruning it back as it grows so quickly. I've been tempted to yank it out.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly water sprite has turned out to be almost a weed IMO. I have difficulty keeping up with pruning it back as it grows so quickly. I've been tempted to yank it out.

From what I'm gathering here, that's pretty much what a lot of people are doing, with the exception of a very small clump. I just have so few plants, that something aggressively expanding is welcome just to give me some quick plant matter!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually have mine IN my HOB - both emersed and submersed. It seems to be just fine with the current in the outflow. I have to trim it regularly or it grows out into the tank down the outflow.

Wow, good to know, and cool idea!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anybody know of the light requirements for water sprite? My instinct tells me low-medium is fine, but figured I had better check with more experienced minds than mine.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Getting some nice new growth shooting out on my free floating clump now

1 - 15 of 15 Posts