The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of my water sprite is growing above the surface of the water towards the light, do I have to trim any of it or can I allow it to grow out of the tank?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had some plants that did that and I'd prune them to spur new leaf growth.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I usually prune it also. But due to shrimp babies & 4 berried females I was a bit scared to pull it out & prune as it might make the female drop her eggs, plus the babies are really tiny so I've been letting it grow & just noticed it is now above the surface line

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The joys of water sprite. In a way, I wish I had a really large tank and this would be one plant to put in it. I would like to see it in all its splendor. Biggest tank I had it in was a 55 and it grew like it was on steriods.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Water sprite does very well when emersed. It allows the plant to get the co2 out of the air and nutrients from the roots that stay below the water line. When emersed, water sprite grows an expansive root system in the water column which provides an excellent place for shrimp and small fry to hide.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Water sprite does very well when emersed. It allows the plant to get the co2 out of the air and nutrients from the roots that stay below the water line. When emersed, water sprite grows an expansive root system in the water column which provides an excellent place for shrimp and small fry to hide.
+1 Serious roots! Like, roots that trailed on the substrate of a ten gallon, and was so thick it looked like a mini tree! Inever trimmed the roots, just moved em to a bigger tank, then eventually sold the largest ones, but i believe you can trim roots? I read it encourages leaf growth.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The roots are all over the place that's for sure. I raised my light fixture about 6 inches over the tank. I am pretty anxious to see how the leaves turn out

·
Registered
603 Posts
When the leaves are emersed, it will produce spores as what other ferns do. :3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts