The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I have a female Ram. I just moved and was VERY excited to find out we have soft WATER!! YEA! right out the tap. Ph 6.6. Well, I am moving, I will be going to a ph 7.8-8.0 depending on where in the city we move to.
I know you can soften the water with peat moss right?
Where do you get it?
How do you prepare it? Boil it?
Where do you put it? Can I hide it in the filter or hide it under driftwood?

I am planning to maybe do RO water if the water is REALLY bad for my shrimp. But I would rather not have to do it for my planted tank too.

·
Registered
410 Posts
home depot or lowes would have it in the garden section. I use peat planting pellets in my shrimp tank because they are a little cleaner. I just rehydrate them and stick them in my filter. another option is to put down a layer on the tank bottom and then cap it. this works fairly well too. im not sure on the boiling part. peat is usually all organic so I would think that it doesn't need much in the way of prep.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was worried about bugs, or crazy stuff in there. you keep reptiles? that moss, you keep in the shed box to help them shed? I had to microwave it because it contained little gnat eggs, and if you didn't they would escape and fly everywhere!

·
Registered
410 Posts
yep, those are the exact ones that I use. just rehydrate them and put them in a media bag in your filter. the bag is important, otherwise you will have peat everywhere. they just stay a little more contained in the pellet form. I use a HOB filter with custom media. I made a spot in my media chamber that will take a few of these guys. will help to keep the water nice and soft for a few weeks at least (never ran them longer).

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Get the peat moss they sell in bales. $10 or so for 3 cubic feet at Home Depot and it will last you for a long time. Take a few fistfulls of the dried stuff, toss it some panty hose, then let it soak in a 5 gallon bucket for a few days like a tea bag.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RAM tankmates in a 20 Long

Another question. Potential Tankmates? I was thinking cardinals, But any other fish friends? I like tetras, but I do not want to put cories in here (unless sterbai) because I have read that is shortens their life span. I need some tank cleaners too, Can ottos hang in this hot? I don't think shrimp would like it this hot.

Tankmates for Ram?
I only have one at the moment but I am hoping to get a breeding pair in the future. Its a female, and she needs a boyfriend :)icon_wink).

I know Cardinal Tetras (can't find them here, not even petsmart, they never seem to get them in!!), and Sterbai. I can get some of those.
Any others?

Tech: see note at bottom
20 Gallon Long
Aquaclear 30
Hydor thermometer (Watts escape me at the moment.)
Plants: Crypts(wendtii, unlandata, spiralis, balasae, Couple swords, mosses
Decor: Driftwood, 1 piece driftwood cave shaped, might make a few PVC caves.
Life: 1 Ram Female
Substrate: I have leftover Tahtian moon sand, or I might get flora pride, its on sale here
Ferts: Flourish, and root tabs (flourish ones, and osmocote)

*this tank is empty at the moment. Just about to set it up and we are moving! So, now I can't. But I listed all the components I have so, you can imagine what it would look like.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts