The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning to turn on the water softener again at the house, I'll be using Potassium. My question is if I use the soft water form the tab, will it affect my plants and fishes? I have lots of tetras, some rainbows (praecox, threadfins, 2 sterbai and some others I just forgot.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
As long as you are using a KCl based water softener salt and not a NaCl based salt, you should be fine.

As mistergreen mentioned, you may need to add extra calcium and magnesium to your tank, so keep an eye out for that.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have a NaCL based softener that's been in use for at least 14 years. It never seemed to have an adverse effect on plants or livestock. I used to by pass it & flush the pipes before topping off, I used a tap water filter for a while, and even purchased RO & DI water. Nothing changed so I still use the softened water right out of the tap with Prime. Remember, if you drink 2 quarts of NaCL based softened water, you're taking in less Sodium than you get from eating 1 slice of white bread or 1 cup of milk...

Tommy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.