The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. New here to your forum. I've been keeping sw reefs for 10 years, but I've always wanted a nice planted fw tank. So..we're planning on setting up a 38 or 45 gallon tank. We have a RO/DI unit for our reef. I can use either RO or RO/DI for the fw tank. Just wondering if I need to add something like RO right to the water to remineralize. I'm not sure what fish we'll be keeping yet. Probably some tetras or platys or guppies. Something colorful my kids would enjoy.

Thanks.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

If you go with Platies or Guppies, I'd definitely reconstitute your RO water, since they prefer harder water.

I'd reconstitute it no matter what fish you go with, personally, just to maintain a stable kH, but I'm also sure that you could get by without it.

And I'd go with RO not RO/DI since the plants and fish would do better with some trace minerals.

If you have some time to kill and want to read through a long debate on the subject, there's all kinds of threads you can pull up with a quick search... here's one of the most recent ones: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/g...n/95162-your-experience-zero-kh-very-low.html :biggrin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts