The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little back story info first, my tank is old OTS (8 years) and our well water has a high amount of silicates from time to time, after big storms etc. it seems.

My tank just suffered a small diatom outbreak after being clean for 3 months or so but still my tank seems to build up desolved solids and make deposits on rocks, intakes, etc. or it seems. All summer I've been planting, dosing EI, weekly 50% WC and things have been good, but my LFS has tanks just full of BBA. I think there are no worries because BBA is in tanks with certain perameters and no CO2 so I'm ok, but I start seeing little hairs on plants, 2 tufts of BBA on the back of a filter intake and one on a piece od substrate.

I deceided to start adding a little Excel to my water so it might kill off any BBA spores and help in general as it is a disinfectant, but I've got to be careful as well I don't want plants melting and fish dead.

I've read 3 times the normal dose for up to 3 weeks but I'm not sure, so I've been dosing 2x the norm and the tank seems slightly better after a week or a little more. I'm also going to get an RO/DI unit because I'm fed up with poor water quality and getting really frustrated with the whole deal.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still reading but thanks, it seems to be working and the water and plants look cleaner and are growing well, some peacock moss that was getting silted over in now getting bright green and growing like crazy.

I kinda freaked this morning, the water surface was all foamy and bubbley, well ok 15% but I still freaked, Excel? not sure but thanks for the links!

I don't know where you found those old posts but I am dosing it for the cleansing effect on algae etc, thanks for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.