The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
How high up will the pump be moving the water? Need a stronger pump if the head height is higher.

How fast do you want to move it?

I use pumps ranging from about 200gph to 1000 gph to move that much water. In one of my systems there is quite a bit of head loss because I am pumping it up about 7' and then through some pipes. In most of my systems the water is mostly moving sideways and just a little bit up or down, such as draining or filling a tank.

Also, the slower flow is better for filling the tank. A strong blast of water tends to stir up the substrate.

I have used Little Giant (been around a long time), Teton (somewhat newer, but decent pumps) and several other pumps which are cheap imports from places like harbor freight and home depot. This sort wimps out and dies too fast.
Look for a pump with a long warranty. 3 years or longer. 1 year = garbage.

Mag drive pumps use less electricity, but do not have enough push to handle high head heights or pressure loss in the pipes. They work fine for outdoor ponds and water falls (not much head height) as long as I up-size the plumbing.

A sump pump (intended for removing water from a basement or a swimming pool cover) can work for aquariums, but make sure it is not an oil filled pump. Usually these move more water, faster.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Diana,my idea is to use a Rubbermaid garbage can.Maybe try something a little smaller with wheels to be used when siphoning the substrate on my 85gal. Discus tank I don't siphon the gravel on my two 40 gal. because they are full of plants but for my discus I will be doing regular water changes and siphoning.I have a python for changes but i need something bigger to siphon because I am near 70 and can't lift buckets not to mention how fast they fill up so I hope to do a large substrate cleaning two or three times a week to keep things squeaky clean.I can't use the python because it is a 25 foot tube and doesn't have enough draw so I want to use a 20 inch siphon tube with 6ft hose into the bucket and just need to empty the water into the tub so it will have to lift about 4ft. and will be downhill after that and I will use a media bag to catch any pool filter sand. Thanks

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Couldn't you arrange some plumbing to make your life easier?
PS, my mechanic is about your age.... one of the strongest people I know.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I use an Eheim compact 600 for pumping RO water out of my 34 gallon Brute garbage can. It does 160gph at 4.5ft of head, so it works great for filling 5g buckets. Not too slow, but not too fast to where it splashes and makes a mess. I have it permanently in there, running the hose out through a bulkhead. Keeps everything secure and makes the water changes quick and easy.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use an Eheim compact 600 for pumping RO water out of my 34 gallon Brute garbage can. It does 160gph at 4.5ft of head, so it works great for filling 5g buckets. Not too slow, but not too fast to where it splashes and makes a mess. I have it permanently in there, running the hose out through a bulkhead. Keeps everything secure and makes the water changes quick and easy.
Thanks,price is right to,will check this one out

Bump:
Couldn't you arrange some plumbing to make your life easier?
PS, my mechanic is about your age.... one of the strongest people I know.
Can,t plumb anything it is in my living room.I'm strong but after 47 yr. working in the cold as a meat cutter my joints are not cooperating lol

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I generally use pumps of around 200gph for larger tanks (about 29 gallon and up). I will use a smaller pump for small tanks, or tanks that are on a lower shelf.
Fill the Rubbermaid Brute (I have several, use whatever size I want) with water, treat it, then roll it closer to the tank (rolls great on hardwood, not good at all on carpet)
Empty the tank as much as I want for the water change by sticking a garden hose out the window and into the garden, or run some water into a 5 gallon bucket and clean the filter. The 200gph pump is fine for emptying this bucket, and also works to start the siphon to empty the tank. In my case I can turn it off if I want to empty the tank slowly, or keep the pump running to do a faster change. Same pump from the Rubbermaid to refill the tank. I hold the tubing from the pump horizontal to the water still in the tank so it does not go right down into the substrate, or else I use some clips to hold the hose.

I have several lengths of tubing and fittings that adapt the threads on the pump to vinyl tubing or garden hose.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've been using these for a few years to power waterfalls for my tanks and do odd jobs around the house
. They're nice pumps and the price is right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts