The Planted Tank Forum banner

Water Pump Ball Valve?

1858 2
I'd like to buy a different more reliable water pump that I can set up with my wet dry filter with PVC. I found a classic mag drive pump with threaded in and outflows but the slowest GPH they offer is 500 GPH. My wet dry filter is rated for 300 GPH. So I figured out that a ball valve would allow me to restrict the flow and slow down the new pump to 300 GPH. But, my question is, would the ball valve damage the water pump since its restricting water flow out of the pump?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
There was a huge discussion about this topic not too long ago on here (and people over on reefcentral like to argue about it as well), but either way, as long as you put the ball valve on the return side of the pump (output), you will be fine.
With that being said, you get better control of flow rates with a gate valve over a ball valve.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's pretty straightforward. Restrict the pump's output, and you're reducing the work the pump does, which results in less power draw and less wear - though the decreases will probably be within the margin of acceptable variability for something like a small mag drive pump.

Restrict the intake side, and you run the risk of causing cavitation, which can result in a huge reduction in the pump's reliability. This isn't a given with a restricted intake (it depends on the specific mechanics of the pump and the head on the output side) but it's a very real possibility.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.