The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Cherries can adapt to a wide range of water parameters
Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee

You say "spiked up"?
Got any rocks in there or using crushed coral/oyster shells?

If it was lower than that, the previous water conditions would have been less desirable than what they are at now. They can adapt, but they do better at the more higher end of their range of water parameters.

I personally would prefer a pH higher than 6.5, like 7 or slightly higher.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, I added actually crushed corals to the filter, because my GH/KH was really low, I asked at the petstore for some kind of rock or lava to improve water parameters and they recommended crushed corals, but I think I need to take the corals out for a moment because GH/KH spiked up too quick

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Matuva, the OP is referring to the GH and KH in PPM (Parts Per Million), not drops/dGH, dKH (German degrees) haha.

1 German degree (drop) = 17.9 ppm (or 17.9 mg/L)

OP, if you just have the cherries (Neos) and no soft, acidic water Caridina shrimp (Crystals, etc), then I personally think they should have their GH and KH raised up from where they are. It is fine if you slowly add the crushed coral/increase GH, KH and pH.

Are you using RO water? If using RO, you could also use remineralizers, that way you can better control the KH, GH.
What's your tap water test at? Most people's tap water is suitable for cherries.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.