The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Fish are very adaptable it's very rare to keep Wild fish where water has to be pretty much exact most fish we keep nowadays have been captive breed for years they have no clue what wild water is so don't get all caught up with trying to keep perfect species water in my opinion it's not worth it the fish don't behave any different nor do they show better color or breed better
And That's my opinion and I am sticking to it : )

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hey we all started somewhere and there's slot of good people on here to help you along and point you in the right direction just need to ask questions and y'all get answers any way welcome to the wonderful world of fish keeping be warned one tank is never enough it's addictive : )

·
Registered
744 Posts
Gh is measurement of minerals in your water that keep your Ph more stable , there are alot of things that can cause a ph swing probably to many to list here's the bottom line the less you mess with trying to fool around changing your water the better off you are as long as you can keep a stable ph your fish will be fine but they don't handle big ph swings well what ph are you aiming for? And what is the ph of the water you are using to try to get it there?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Your welcome and yes less R/O water will bring your gh up a bit cause R/O water has no minerals in it I know people who have keep and breed fish for over 40 years and never once used a GH/ DH test , good luck on your venture into the wonderful world of aquariums it's such a great hobby

·
Registered
744 Posts
Your honestly going to drive yourself nuts playing with the water the fish are fine as long as you keep a stable ph and doing water changes weekly you can keep it in check with your adding r/o to your tap as long as you make the same mix each time throw that DH/kh test in a draw and forget about it These are not wild fish were dealing with they wouldn't know ideal true water conditions of were they were from if you brought them there yourself : )

Bump: Theres other stuff you can also do to lower your ph like adding driftwood or adding peatmoss to your filter media , almond leafs , oak leafs, you def have options to help you keep it lower and more stable in between water changes

·
Registered
744 Posts
Use this system the Kiss system it stands for
Keep it simple stupid lol no pun intended I use it myself I played the water game years ago when I use to breed angelfish & had a fish room in the end I gave into what my water wanted to be and fish didn't mind still breed for me just as good if not better then when I was playing with there water daily just keep on top of your water changes and like I said before if your ph is really high there are things you can add as I mentioned to keep it a bit lower in between water changes now kick back and enjoy your tank Your Fish Are : ) there swimming around alive and happy your doing something right

1 - 6 of 6 Posts