The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2nd post on the shrimp threads. Curious about water parameters for the above shrimp.

Depending upon the seller, their specs for what the shrimp typically like seem to be quite different. Some list those specs and also list what their particular store keeps them at.

Looking at 3 different sellers, this is what they are saying that the shrimp typically live in:
60°-80°F,. 64°-84°, 68°-85°
KH 3-10, 0-10, 0-5
PH 6.6-7.0, 6.8-7.5, 6.5-8.0
Only one vendor listed a GH, which was listed as 8-12

So, looking at the numbers above, and averaging them, depending on the vendor, the proper temp is either, 70°, 74°, or 76° the different between vendor one and vendor three for the low temperature is 8°.
The KH average is either ~6, 5, or ~2
The PH average is either 6.8, ~7.1, or 7.0

With the above numbers being all over the place, how does one determine what water parameters are the correct ones to adjust my tank to? I'm going to assume one would use whatever numbers are coming from that particular vendor, but what do you do if you decide to get shrimp from multiple vendors, but they're going in the same tank?

Lastly, at the present time I'm considering using tap water for the shrimp tank. Yes, I know I should invest in an RO/DI system, but it's not in the cards at this moment. I've had no issues with it for freshwater fish, snails and plants, but shrimp I'm assuming are a different issue.

My tap water which runs through a whole house water softener (salt type) reads as such:
KH 8. I'm guessing from the salt?
GH barely 1. One drop instantly goes green, using an API test kit. I never see orange at all.
PH is greater than or equal to 7.6 which is as high as my kit tests.
TDS is around 200 upon initial dip, but the longer I keep the probe (Hanna) in the water it starts to rise at about 1 ppm per second.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I believe the yellow gold back is a neocaridina type, and if that's correct you have some work to do with your water. If they are caridina, then you have a TON more work to do with your water.

First, the KH is rather high and with your PH reading equal to, or above 7.6 I'm guessing it's above 7.6. The shrimp may not do well in that high of a PH.
Your GH is too low. Your shrimp will need calcium to properly molt and your GH probably needs to be at 5 or 6.

Your TDS is fine by the numbers, but you need to reduce your KH and increase your GH for the shrimp to be healthy and happy. This is where TDS can be very misleading.

I truly think anyone wanting to keep shrimp (other than amanos, they do well in a lot of different waters) should invest in an RO system and/or purchase distilled.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
First you should find out your ph. Buy a proper test kit which includes a ph high range. My pH varies based on the time of year but it goes up to 8.2 out of the tap. My kh is similar to yours and my gh is a bit higher. I have kept and bred neocaridina including gold back for a few years. They are extremely undemanding. They do not need a heater, room temperature is great for them. Assuming your ph is not 9 or above you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Do you have access to your water before it goes through the softener?

If you want to attempt to match a sellers parameters, you need RO water or distilled plus minerals.

I would recommend purchasing from someone who breeds these shrimp rather than a store that is merely the middle man and sells them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.