The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Just new to this whole thing so i thought i would ask before i went out and spent money.

The most easily accesible test kits for me are the nutrafin ones. I already have these for pH, GH, kH, ammonia/ammonium (NH3/NH4), and nitrite (NO2) and nitrate (NO3) as we speak from before i went to a planted tank.

Now that i am doing plants from what i have read i need to keep my eye closest on nitrogen, potassium, and phosphate levels as well as iron. I know there are others such as magnesium and calcium but i wont flood my brain with those yet haha.

I can go purchase nutrafin iron and phosphate test kits and i already have the nitrate one for my nitrogen content (once tank is mature). And all that leaves is a potassium test kit. I dont think nutrafin makes one for potassium.

So my 2 questions are....

1) Are the nutrafin test kits inaccurate for any of these water parameters ? If so which brand is best for that parameter ?

2) Where does a guy get his hands on a potassium test kit ?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
no cheap test kit is completely accurate. There's a bit of guess work that goes on... A potassium test kit is pretty pricey($100+).

Just get a nitrate & phospate kit. Your plants will tell you what nutrients you're missing. You might want to get a drop checker, (measures CO2)... There are ones that check both CO2 and PH.. I might get that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.