The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you want to know what's in your water??

I am offering water testing services for hobbyist who want to get a better idea of certain nutrient levels or water parameters of their tank water. I own a Hanna HI-83200 Benchtop photometer and good range of test reagents. I wanted to offer the service to help get back some of my investment plus I know the cost of getting water tested by a laboratory is very expensive.

The Hannah HI-83200 Benchtop Photometer is the big daddy of test kits. It can test for 44 different water parameters.

The water parameters that I can test for are listed below including the range and accuracy levels:

Nitrate (KNO3)
Range: 0 to 150 mg/L
Resolution: 0.1 mg/L
Accuracy: ±0.5 mg/L ±10% of reading

Phosphate (P04)
Range: 0.0 to 30.0 mg/L (ppm)
Resolution: 0.1 mg/L
Accuracy: ±1 mg/L ±4% of reading

Potassium (K - Medium Range)
Range: 10 to 100 mg/L (ppm)
Resolution: 2.5 mg/L
Accuracy: ±15 mg/L ±7% of reading
**I can also test for low range for 0-10 ppm K.

Calcium (Ca)
Range: 0 to 400 mg/L (ppm)
Resolution: 10 mg/L
±10 mg/L ±5% of reading

Magnesium (Mg)
Range: to 150 mg/L (ppm)
Resolution: 5 mg/L
Accuracy: ±5 mg/L ±3% of reading

Iron (Fe)
Range: 0.00 to 5.00 mg/L (ppm)
Resolution: 0.01 mg/L
Accuracy: ±0.04 mg/L ±2% of reading

Manganese (Mn - Low range)
Range: 0 to 300 μg/L (ppb)
Resolution: 1 μg/L
Accuracy: ±10 μg/L ±3% of reading

Copper (Cu - Low range)
Range:0 to 1000 μg/L
Resolution: 1 μg/L
Accuracy:±10 μg/L ±5% of reading

Ammonia (NH4 - Low Range)
Range: 0.00 to 3.00 mg/L (ppm)
Accuracy: ±0.04 mg/L ±4% of reading

Sulfate (S04 - Max 100 ppm)
Range: 0 to 100 mg/L (ppm)
±5 mg/L ±3% of reading

Alkalinity (CaC03)
Range: 0 to 500 mg/L (ppm) as CaCO3
Accuracy: ±5 mg/L ±10% of reading

Chlorine (Total Chlorine)
Range: 0.00 to 3.50 mg/L (ppm)
Accuracy: ±0.03 mg/L ±3% of reading

Chloride (Max 20 ppm)
Range: 0.0 - 20.0 ppm
Resolution: 0.1 ppm
Accuracy: ±6% of reading ± 0.5 ppm

***For chloride test I use the Hannah HI753 Chloride Checker and not the HI 83200. The HI-83200 does not test for chloride.

Legend:
mg/L ppm = Parts per million
μg/L / ppb = Parts per billion
1 ppm = 1000 ppb

The cost is $5 per nutrient/parameter test per sample with a minimum of 4 tests required. So if you want to get 1 water sample tested for N,P,K,Mg then the cost is $20.

I have all the necessary equipment to ensure the most accurate readings we can get out of your water. Water is tested around the temp range of 74-78 F to ensure accuracy of results:

Test includes free PH and TDS readings from a Hanna HI9814 GroPro TDS/EC/PH meter.

FAQ
Can I choose which parameters to test or N,P,K and Mg is required.?
You can choose any combination as long as you select 4 tests which is the minimum. You can send a sample for tap and tank water and I can test the tap for Ca and Mg and I can test your tank water for Mg and K. Again any combination is OK as long as I will conduct 4 tests.

How does the service work?
Send me a PM with the list of nutrients you want to test (minimum of 4 test) and I will provide you an invoice using paypal. You can then pay by paypal or use a credit card to pay. You are responsible for shipping cost for shipping the water.

How do I get my results?
The results will be shown as photos of the results from the actual machine readout similar to the example photo above. They will be sent to your email.

So how much does it cost?
If you wanted K,Ca,Mg and Fe then it is $20. If you wanted to test 6 parameters then it is $30.

What is your testing protocol?
Samples from 1 person is tested as one batch. I will not test the same parameters at the same time for different people to ensure no mix up with test results.

How quickly can the water be tested?
All water samples will be tested during weekends on a first come first serve basis. Each test usually runs for 10-15 mins since I have carefully clean each testing cuvette after each test and reaction time will also vary per test. Cleaning the test cuvette after ever test is a must and ensures minimal contamination. A full set of test is probably 2+ hours long so I will conduct the tests on a weekend.

How do I pack the water?
1 source water sample must be a minimum of 500 ml and stored in a recycled distilled or purified water bottle. You must wash the bottle with your sample water prior to filling to ensure that no liquid from the bottle contaminates the sample. Bottle must be sealed with tape and must be placed in a ziplock bag and sealed with tape (just in case). If you are sending tap and tank water samples then each sample must be placed in their own 500 ml bottle.

How accurate are the readings?
The accuracy of each readout is shown in the list above. I also follow strict protocol when testing the parameters since I use the same tests for testing my tank water.

Some of the protocols that I follow:
- I have 1 cuvette for each different test parameter to prevent contamination. 1 cuvette for KNO3, 1 cuvette for P04, etc.
- Test Cuvettes are cleaned and washed multiple times with RO water after every test
- I use disposable gloves when performing the test to prevent contamination.
- I wash my hands with the gloves on after every test that involves a powder reagent.
- I use reusable and disposable lint free wipes for cleaning the cuvettes.
- I use an automatic 1ml pipette for 1ml reagents with a set pipette tip for each to avoid contamination. I clean all pipette tips for the automatic pipette.
- I use disposable pipettes for reagents that require a non-standard pipette.
- Water is tested at 74 to 78 F temperature. Currently working on a heating solution to test water at 77 F. I use the Hannah GroPro TDS/PH/Temp meter for testing water temp.

For other questions please PM me.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts