The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading and reading so many posts and websites this is what I came up with. There are two ways to get the water parameters right for the CRS.
1: inconsistent
mix 50/50 ro and tap water to test and to get to the right chemistry for the shrimps (add more Ro or tap to get to the reading.)
2: consistent
full ro water which is mostly zero chemistry in the water so you have to remineralize the water (salty bee shrimp mineral to remineralize) test the water and you should be good? To do water change get a tds meter and premix the mineral with ro test the tds to 125 and you should be ok?

Please correct me if I'm wrong any input from previous experiences or how you do your water would be awesome.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you're starting out, and you have easy access to RO, it's hard to beat the full RO with Salty shrimp combo. It stays consistent from water change to water change and is just easy to do.

You'll see from the posts that there is no one right way as they handle a decent range. But, if you want easy and safe, that RO and Salty combo will work well.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
2: consistent
full ro water which is mostly zero chemistry in the water so you have to remineralize the water (salty bee shrimp mineral to remineralize) test the water and you should be good? To do water change get a tds meter and premix the mineral with ro test the tds to 125 and you should be ok?

Please correct me if I'm wrong any input from previous experiences or how you do your water would be awesome.
Can honestly say that's the best way. However as you go along in your shrimp journey you'll notice those guys are a bit tougher and you can be more "lax" about your parameters.

I've bred CRS from.......
pH 5.5-7.1
gH 3-7
kH 0-2
TDS 120-300

Luckily my tap in Maine is pH 6.5, gH 3, tds 45 so I plop in a minute amount of remineralizer and I'm good to go.

Problem with tap mixes is......
1. Sometimes there's something not good with the water....like I had some tap issues that killed fish and shrimp....and even snails....and limpets...eek (dorm tap for you)
2. Soemtimes the TDS and gH isn't coming from something that your shrimp use. Remineralizers are nice because they replicate what creates the gH in the environment

·
Registered
121 Posts
How often do you conduct your water changes? Are nitrates just as bad as nitrite/ammonia?

Can honestly say that's the best way. However as you go along in your shrimp journey you'll notice those guys are a bit tougher and you can be more "lax" about your parameters.

I've bred CRS from.......
pH 5.5-7.1
gH 3-7
kH 0-2
TDS 120-300

Luckily my tap in Maine is pH 6.5, gH 3, tds 45 so I plop in a minute amount of remineralizer and I'm good to go.

Problem with tap mixes is......
1. Sometimes there's something not good with the water....like I had some tap issues that killed fish and shrimp....and even snails....and limpets...eek (dorm tap for you)
2. Soemtimes the TDS and gH isn't coming from something that your shrimp use. Remineralizers are nice because they replicate what creates the gH in the environment

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
How often do you conduct your water changes? Are nitrates just as bad as nitrite/ammonia?
merp ive literally let my tanks sit for a month and have all grades of CRS (excluding PRLs and TB's) breed

I water change once a month probably unless I seriously want some breeding action then once every 2 weeks to probably try and induce molting faster.

·
Registered
121 Posts
merp ive literally let my tanks sit for a month and have all grades of CRS (excluding PRLs and TB's) breed

I water change once a month probably unless I seriously want some breeding action then once every 2 weeks to probably try and induce molting faster.
I see. But won't the ammonia/nitrate/nitrite slowly creep up?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. This is a fresh tanking cycling with half tap and ro. I seeded in the bacteria from a friend of mine tank. Just did a test on ammo, nitrite, ph, and nitrates. My tds, kh and gk are coming this weekend and the shrimps are coming next week.

Ph 6.6
Ammo 0
Nitrite .25
Nitrate 10.
Doing another 50% wc
I also dose co2 at 1bps in a finnex 4g

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're starting out, and you have easy access to RO, it's hard to beat the full RO with Salty shrimp combo. It stays consistent from water change to water change and is just easy to do.

You'll see from the posts that there is no one right way as they handle a decent range. But, if you want easy and safe, that RO and Salty combo will work well.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

I'm also dosing co2 with a gla pb regulator dual stage would that change the chemistry in the parameter big time (dosing 1bps) i also have all the seachem's liquid ferts. So my question is would it hurts the shrimps if i dose seachem's by the recommending doses?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts