The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, so I would like to know if my water parameter will be fine to maintain and breed blue tiger shrimp. Is my ph a problem for blue tigers?

water parameter:

Ammonia: 0ppm
nitrate: 0ppm
PH: 7.4
GH: uknown
KH: unknown

I don't have the GH and KH because I lost the cards for the test kit. Both of the bottles didn't have instructions for how many drops to put in the tube so I added 5 drops each and it was light yellow, can anyone help me out with this? my test kit is API.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I would try to lower the Ph closer to 7.0 to prevent any Ph spikes that would lead the water to be 7.5+ because this is a sensitive species. Your Kh must be low too as this is a soft water shrimp. Keep the water temperature at around 75F as I have found they look their best and spawn more. Good Luck.

Cheers,
Justin

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had my tank for about 3 yrs and it stays at 7.4. Its the same as my tap water, although I've only had the tank with amazonia II for 1 1/2 yrs. The buffer from the amazonia probably died out. I am unsure about my GH and KH, reasons stated above.
I believe I could keep the PH and water parameters consistent it just the matter if the shrimp could even survive within my water parameter.
Thank you RcScRs.

·
Registered
346 Posts
KH. Fill the test tube 5ml of water to be test (to the line of tube).
Holding the bottle vertically, add KH Test Solution, one drop at a time. Be sure to count the number of drops being added.
Cap the test tube and invert several time after each drop.
The test is completed when the water in the test tube, after having been shaken, turn from blue to yellow. If you have difficulty discerning the colour after the first drop of test solution is added , remove the cap from the test tube and while holding it over a white background, look down through the tube.
The KH value is determined by the number of drops of test solution that must be added to turn the water in the test tube bright yellow.

GH. As same (KH) instruction, only diffrent colour change from orange to green..

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KH. Fill the test tube 5ml of water to be test (to the line of tube).
Holding the bottle vertically, add KH Test Solution, one drop at a time. Be sure to count the number of drops being added.
Cap the test tube and invert several time after each drop.
The test is completed when the water in the test tube, after having been shaken, turn from blue to yellow. If you have difficulty discerning the colour after the first drop of test solution is added , remove the cap from the test tube and while holding it over a white background, look down through the tube.
The KH value is determined by the number of drops of test solution that must be added to turn the water in the test tube bright yellow.

GH. As same (KH) instruction, only diffrent colour change from orange to green..
So I would have to add more than 5 drops? The color for KH didn't turn blue to yellow it just started getting yellow and then I stopped. For the GH it didn't turn orange and its not green, I also did 5 drops and its the same color as the KH (light yellow)

·
Registered
39 Posts
My blue tiger's water is:

Ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 20ppm
PH: 6.4
GH: 50
KH: 70
ADA Aquasoil
Sponge filter

Insect Arthropod Terrestrial plant Pest Parasite

Salamander Fish Amphibian Mole salamander Terrestrial animal

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.