The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was just wondering how much water movement I should be aiming for in my tank. I currently have a 40g with a powerhead on one end blowing water around, and a cannister filter under the tank that is rated up to 75 gallons. It causes quite a bit of water movement, and I was trying to figure out if it was too much or not. My concern was that if I reduced the movement, it would allow more buildup of "junk" along the bottom and in the plants. I suppose that I could just syphon from the bottom when I change water, but I had read somewhere (can't remember where) that you should leave the substrate alone and change your water from the column. Any ideas on these questions? Plants are growing moderately well, but I am about to be getting more and want to give them the best possible conditions. Any info would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I may then want to deactivate the powerhead. It pushes a lot of water around, and does sometimes cause a lot of disturbance on top.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It really doesn't sound like you have too much flow. If more junk is getting filtered because the powerhead keeps things suspended, I think you have a big plus there. Though if you really need to tone down the flow, some powerheads have adjustments. Repositioning inside the tank can help alot too. The way I have my 20 long set up is exactly the same as yours, if the tank looks like this from the front the flow goes
_________________|

Thereby in essence creating a centrifuge in my aquarium that you can actually see with the co2 bubbles. The centrifuge leads guess where... right to the filter intake. Even with sand substrate the aquarium floor is spotless. I can only attribute this to the flow, or the amano shrimp, because I don't vacuum the substrate (what a nightmare that would be!)

The powerhead does shut down during lights off. I like my fishies to rest a bit after some swimmin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts