The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i setup a 2.5 on my bookshelf and i'm having some troubles. I cant really find a viable option for water movement that will not send the substrate everywhere. I was trying to grow glosso with no current in the tank and what i got was a tangled mess growing up to the surface. I dont want to use a HOB filter because of surface agitation and all of the internal filters are too powerful and take up way too much space inside the tank.

What are you guys doing for water movement in your 2.5g's ? thanks.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
send the outflow water straight up!
it creates a ripple mushroom of water.
glosso does not need Co2 anyway,
so the out-gassing won't matter.
if you can't redirect the water up,
simply take a bit of filter sponge,
cut it to slow the outflow down.
that's what I do on my hanging
filter off my 10gal tank.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks spypet but i think you misunderstood me.

I dont have a filter on the tank yet. I tried doing it with no filter but i think part of the reason i'm getting unfavorable growth is because of having no current in the tank. i'm shopping for one that will work well on my 2.5.

Asking for people who have 2.5's setup and what filters they are using that aren't HOB. even a small powerhead that will do like 10-12 gph would be fine. Anyone know of anything like that?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If you are looking for something local and cheap, hobby shops often carry little pumps for those desk-top fountains in rather small sizes. I used them in with my baby angels in 2.5 g's because they didn't create too much current and knock my angels around.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats an idea.. thanks TAF :D

·
Registered
711 Posts
i found this:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/product/productInfo.web?infoParam.mode=2&infoParam.itemKey=216232

i think it will work. Anyone ever used this before? know the GPH rating? cant find much info on this thing.
i've got one of these and it works great in my 5.5. i use the spraybar, pointed pretty much straight up (non c02). it's current is adjustable and going through the spray bar reduces raceway like currents in the tank if you were to use the spout. it's very energy efficient (1.5 watts). i guess it does a decent job of biological filtration but i have a fairly low bio-load in the tank. i can give you the gph specs when i get home from work later today (late pm edt).

in my 2.5 i use the dive clean micro. i also have the spray bar pointed up.

i think the mini may be too big (in particular) and too powerful for a 2.5. call tfp and ask if they have the micro.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
711 Posts
sammy, the dive clean mini has a max gph of 47.5 (180l/h) this is the same as the dive clean micro :redface:

but the physical dimensions of the micro would be better suited for your 2.5: 5" vs 3" high; same length (1.1") and width (1.25"). but if you're going to have a relatively high bioload, i guess the mini would be better; you could always reduce the flow rate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts