The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently was looking at my setup. i lost the HOB filter and became an Eheim owner (Classic 2213) today. Im looking to create a Riverbed look and feel. I purchased a Rio Powerhead to create a current and to inject CO2. But im thinking i may have created too much .. now is there a point at which to much current will be bad for my fish and plants. in my figuring that it will create a nice current, and keep the water moving and the water conditions constantly mixed ( no heavy fertilized spots ) have i possibly went backward and made it poor conditions for my fish and plants?

29 gal tank
eheim 2213
rio powerhead
20lb co2 bottle
135W coralife
eco-complete

·
Registered
477 Posts
alot of current can make it hard for small, non river fish to feed and they may get stressed
but if you stock river fish it should be fine

get it running (take the fish out maybe) and feel it with your hand, if it can seriously move your hand it may be to much

correct me if im wrong guys

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Yeah, I'd have to say that it all depends on plants and fish you have. Some plants prefer current as do some fish, but some do not. From what I can tell, blyxa japonica like a little flow. I have my filter spraybar pointing down at it and its doing very well. Some fish, however, will hang out in the back or near the bottom if they don't like the flow.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I did a river tank once in a 55 gallon tank all the fish were pointing the same direction all the time. I had two power heads and a HOB filter on one side. I piped the intake for the HOB on the other end of the tank. All in all it was a good tank and the flow rate was not too high.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts