The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to convert a piece of wood thats been in a lizard tank, into a waterlogged plant covered aquarium piece. This piece of wood, (I can't tell you what it is.....looks like cypress but I'm not sure) was bone dry when I origionally submerged it(it had spent two years under high powered lighting.) Six plus weeks later, its still not completely waterlogged. Not popping to the top when i take the weights off like it was, but still not sinking like I want it to. I'm getting impatient. Should I just go ahead and weight it with slate? HOW MUCH LONGER CAN THIS PROCESS POSSIBLY TAKE?!!!!!:icon_eek:

·
Registered
166 Posts
You could weight it but I think boiling it speeds up the process. I am going to bake mine to see how well it works. Mine are too big for boiling.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I've tried baking a piece and all it did was dry it out. Its good for killing any nasties though.
I do have one piece that has been soaking in a tank weighted down with rocks for more than a year and if I move the rocks it floats up about 1/2 way up the water column. Some wood just don't want to sink I think.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have the same problem as you...

I'm trying to soak a couple pieces of driftwood that are 6 feet long, so boiling/baking is not an option.

It's been a month and they are still floating. I'm thinking I'm going to have to silicone them to the tank, or use rocks in my hardscape to hold them down.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aren't you supposed to drill through the slate(somehow) and into the wood with...a....screw?

or even better....because my driftwood is already soaked,and im pretty sure silicone isn't going to work at this point....what about that under water glue used for corals in salt water tanks?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts