The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been starting a water lily for the past 2 weeks. The plant has finally penetrated the seed and will soon need planting.

I have a 20L dirt tank with no cover. I want to lily to grow from the substrate to the surface and bloom. Is there anything I should know about this plant before I begin?

I got the bulb from Petco and in the picture it looks like to lily leaves are dark red/purple, but it doesn't say what kind of lily it is. I've never grown a lily before and I'm wondering will this plant grow well in nutrient soil only? I do not dose this tank with ferts.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lillies can live off of the bulb if there are no ferts available but it will eventually get used up. The species is probably Nymphaea Stellata if it came in the blister pack. I have one in my 29 gallon and it gets huge if not trimmed. Reddish leaves with some darker freckles.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lillies can live off of the bulb if there are no ferts available but it will eventually get used up. The species is probably Nymphaea Stellata if it came in the blister pack. I have one in my 29 gallon and it gets huge if not trimmed. Reddish leaves with some darker freckles.
How tall does it get and does it shoot blooms that surface?

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What if I tried to grow it in my planted HOB filter and grow the bulb 1" from the surface. I wonder if that will even work...

I hear lily's are massive and I really rather not have to take up my 20L.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Lily leaves grow to the surface (if allowed) and then their stems lengthen, allowing the leaves to spread away from the plant's base and making room for newer leaves. They don't generally grow above the surface unless they're very crowded, but I think in one inch of water, that crowding would happen right quick. Waterlilies do tend to be rather heavy feeders, so they'd love some root tabs - but can probably get by without.

~Bruce

·
Registered
410 Posts
imo you have a dormant monster on your hands. i thought a lily would be a good addition to my tank (55 gal), its taken over about a third of my tank in about six months. mine is in the process of blooming as we speak. it likes lots of light, very soft water, and lots and lots of food. it is a very interesting plant, but its just to much plant for my little tank. they dont mind if you neglect them a little, very hardy. just be aware of the fact that they have a very aggressive root system and they will starve any plants nearby for light and nutrients. best of luck with your lily.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My lilly has came out of the bulb and I am starting to see lily leaf life steams coming out. I have taken it from the HOB and planted it into my dirty 20L.

Fun plant so far.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
They are dwarf compared to lilies grown outside in ponds. If you put this plant into a pond it might only make a 4' circle of leaves. You can prune off the older floating leaves to keep some clear water I suppose as the leaves don't live particularly long anyway.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i have had one of those for years and i mean years at least 5 yrs. i had one plant break off the bulb and is not in my 55 and it gets pretty good sized leaves since it has rooted itself in the substrate (1.5 inches of miracle grow organic potting soil and 1.5-2 inches of pool filter sand) i removed the bulb from that tank and its in another tank that didnt get much light so its not doing as well but soon to move it to yet another tank with better light. its has put off several small bulbs but i never let it bloom so i cant tell you much about that part

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yikes! That looks big!

Here's a picture of my lily in my 20L:

>Close Up

> Full Tank Shot

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
here is mine that decided to tip over and grow in the substrate. it has done this for the past year and leaves do get big but i trim the before they reach the surface so i dont know about blooming. i have also had the same bulb for like 8 years and it still has a new one on it. there was a time for about 6 months i pulled it from the water and let it dry out cause it didnt put off any leaves but once back in a tank it started again.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
here is mine that decided to tip over and grow in the substrate. it has done this for the past year and leaves do get big but i trim the before they reach the surface so i dont know about blooming. i have also had the same bulb for like 8 years and it still has a new one on it. there was a time for about 6 months i pulled it from the water and let it dry out cause it didnt put off any leaves but once back in a tank it started again.
How did you go about drying it and all?
Also, gotta say this, SUPER JEALOUS OF YOUR CRINUMS MAN. You gotta give me some if you ever have any to give :p

I have a question about the lotus btw. If you take a runner from the main plant that doesn't have its own bulb, will it still grow fine and will it ever form its own bulb? Or will it forever be a stunted plant?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.