The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been using the ecco 2232 for over a year and it’s been great. I’ve cleaned the filter a few times, but haven’t paid much attention to the water level inside the canister after cleaning. I just prime it using the built-in lever, let it start filling, lock the lever, and plug it in and go.

I just cleaned it again today and put it back into action. I noticed that the water level in the canister doesn’t go all the way to the top (about an inch to the bottom of the top ridge where the canister narrow slightly – sorry, a bit difficult to describe). It’s running just fine as usual, smooth, quiet and no bubbling.

I wonder whether it has always been like this. Is it supposed to fill all the way up? I’d appreciate it if someone using an ecco can check the water level in your canister and confirm.

Thanks.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I run my eccos all the way full... I don't close the lever until the water hits the bottom of the head unit.

Cheers, whitepine

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks whitepine for the quick reply. I just didn't wait long enough before locking the lever then.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
My XP3 usually has the same gap. I think it's because the hose is too long for my tank height and there is a "loop" in it, or kind of a curve. I've been told that this will create an air pocket, but it could be different with the Eheim.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I have always filled mine up to the top, even though the manual inferred that wasn't to be done. I fill and close it in a utility sink. The first time I did it that way because I hadn't noticed the fill line in the instructions. I have only run it for ~ three months. No probs so far.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
To achieve a very small amount of air in Eheim ECCOs:

Attach the input line, and leave the output off. Start the siphon and place your thumb over the output to regulate the speed of the siphon. When the water starts getting close to the top of the canister, make sure your thumb is firmly on the output hole, and let the air escape very slowly. When the water touches your thumb, close the valve on the input to stop the water in-flow. Attach the output hose, open the valve, and turn it on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts