The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some nice water lettuce to float at the top of my tank, it was nice and perky when I put it in and now it's laying almost all the way flat and yellowing slightly. I modified the lid so that there's a large gap and free air flow now I thought maybe that was the issue they perked up slightly. I've got direct light shinning on them, maybe too much? Also I am dosing macros and micros as well as CO2.
Thanks -Heidi
Nature Organism Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Fish supply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Water Lettuce is a large pond plant. A single plant will grow over 6" high and wide. It will send out runners and each daughter plants can get that big too. The connected mass can totally cover a pond or aquarium.

Under artificial light Water Lettuce tends to stay flat, often just 2 leaves with a bit of a bud in the center that grows slowly and stays small. This is the condition often referred to as "Dwarf Water Lettuce".

Looking at the roots of yours it looks like yours is sort of in between in size, but trying to mature into the larger form. Water Lettuce does not like too much water on the leaves. A drop or two just beads up and falls off. But long term high humidity is not good.

Mine are growing in a greenhouse, with open-top tanks. I have also grown it in a pond in the greenhouse, and an outdoor pond. Any time I try growing it with any sort of cover it quits growing, or dies.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Phylanthus fluitans
any of the smaller Salvinia (if they are legal in your area)
Azolla

These 3 grow almost flat, just a little texture above the water, not giant leaves.
The Azolla tries to take over the tank, but is very easy to thin out (not like duckweed, which is simply invasive)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.