The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a nitrite scare about a month ago after I changed my filter not realizing I would be putting it into a mini cycle :(. so ended up doing a lot of water changes with 5 times the amount dosing of Seachem prime. Now have 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites and .5 nitrates. Everything is getting under control but my gh has gone from 40 to 180! How is this possible? Will it ever get back to normal? I have all soft water fish and am worried for them. Could use any suggestions or information about this.
Thank you for the help in advance.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Why did you use 5 times the recommended amount of Prime? That is never a good idea. But, I don't know that Prime affects GH. Usually you get a rising GH like that when you have rocks in the tank that are dissolving in the water, usually carbonate rocks, like limestone or dolomite. Rocks with smooth, rounded holes is usually the culprit.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Perhaps the tap water is different. Sometimes the water companies change the source(s) and there are different mineral levels in the water.
Test the tap.

Are the KH and pH also affected?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why did you use 5 times the recommended amount of Prime? That is never a good idea. But, I don't know that Prime affects GH. Usually you get a rising GH like that when you have rocks in the tank that are dissolving in the water, usually carbonate rocks, like limestone or dolomite. Rocks with smooth, rounded holes is usually the culprit.
With the nitrite spike I was told to dose five times the amount. It said on the label and also contacted seachem. I have Seiryu stone could that increase the GH?

Perhaps the tap water is different. Sometimes the water companies change the source(s) and there are different mineral levels in the water.
Test the tap.

Are the KH and pH also affected?
Hmm I'll have to test my tap water then. The KH and PH is the same at 40 and Ph
is 6.5
I should probably also invest in a real water test kit... Any recommendations?

Many dechlorinators can cause issues like that if over dosed too.
Thank you. If that's the issue how long will it take to get back to normal? I'm in an uphill battle now since one of my cardinals died and I can't find the body. Ugh. Took everything out and did a pwc. I don't want to keep over cleaning my tank though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is probably why. Also you should never use that much prime lol. The recommended amount will work just fine.
I was told by seachem to use 5 times the amount

Thank you. I love the look of seiryu i look up a rock then that won't mess with the gh

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.