The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is 3' tall so it stands over 6'. I was doing a water change and filter clean. As the tank was about 3/4 full, I locked everything down, prefilter, then intake/output and it started to fill up the canister. Once full.... water started GUSHING from the prefilter. 😨 My worst nightmare....PANIC ATTACK! The filter wasn't on, just gravity fed at this point. I had to run over, get the step ladder, open the top up and pull the intake tube off the filter (water wasn't up that high to be sucked down without the intake tube). By that time water had run behind my tank, over to the door opening, over the door jam and down a hall in a matter of a few seconds. :oops: Oh and I have hardwood floors.

After I threw a gazillion towels down I looked at the connection to see what the heck happened. Apparently on the prefilter side, one side was locked down but one was not (like one side was "under the lock" and the other was not). It wasn't that obvious at all. I'm surprised it actually "locked"?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi @Norfgal

Yikes! What a nightmare!

I've never owned a Oase filter but they have such a good reputation. No doubt you'll contact Oase to let them know what has happened.

I do hope your insurance covers you for this scenario.

Anon

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Anon, I was right on top of it with towels hopefully no insurance needed. It certainly could have been operator error, but I've done it so many times and if it's not lined up right, it won't lock.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Anon, I was right on top of it with towels hopefully no insurance needed. It certainly could have been operator error, but I've done it so many times and if it's not lined up right, it won't lock.
Hi @Norfgal

Like I said, I imagine that an email to Oase would be worth doing.

Anon

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have USAA home insurance and I think the deductible for that sort of "flooding" would be in the $5k range on my policy (I have a separate federal flood insurance policy for "real" floods). Of course water damage can be more than the surface of the floor itself (and whether your floor is on a concrete slab or not), extending to interiors of walls, future mold problems, etc.

Anyway, my point is that I would be skeptical of insurance being the best option after an aquarium mishap, say <20 gallons. There are a lot of variables, though. I hope your towels did the job!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have two Oase filters, a 600 and a 250. I had a similar experience.

These filters have a failsafe feature which will keep this from happening with one exception. In theory you cannot lock the input/output turret without the prefilter assembly being locked. The gotcha is that if you do not push the prefilter in securely you can still move the locking lever into the locked position. Then when you lock the input/output turret, which also opens the valves, water will siphon the tank out the now unsealed prefilter opening.

I have double-tap connectors on my input/output tubes but the real key is to always give the prefilter a tug after trying to lock it and before locking the input/outputs.

BTW. If it happens again just quickly unlock the input/output turret lever which will close those tubes and stop the siphon.

·
Registered
663 Posts
You are lucky to have discovered the leak early to prevent further damage. There were accidents reported of leaky canister that drained the tank over night. There are no safe canisters as long as external hoses, clamps and O ring are used, and any break can turn into a fountain. HOBs are the safest because there is no external plumbing,

·
Registered
39 Posts
You are lucky to have discovered the leak early to prevent further damage. There were accidents reported of leaky canister that drained the tank over night. There are no safe canisters as long as external hoses, clamps and O ring are used, and any break can turn into a fountain. HOBs are the safest because there is no external plumbing,
Meh. I'm more worried about tank failure than a canister leak. Plumbing is plumbing. Plenty of examples of people destroying walls, stands with leaks from HOB's out there, too. IIRC, my Fluval HOB has an o-ring outside the aquarium, too. >90% of these leaks are operator error. I chalk the rest up to cheap equipment or lack of attentiveness.

Replace hoses when they get stiff, inspect seals, etc. and good canisters are plenty reliable.

·
Registered
663 Posts
True, 90% leaks are due to human error, but if you can eliminate opportunities for human error, you reduce chance of leak by 90%. If the filter has no external hoses, clamps and seal, there is no opportunities for human error or material failure to leak. Internal filters and HOBs do not have external plumbing and can’t leak, with the exception of Fluval AC . AC is designed uniquely in that you have to unscrew the motor to access and clean the impeller. The O ring seal will eventually fail with repeated unscrewing or aging similar to canister seals. Another flaw of AC is that a clogged up foam can pop up pushing out the cover and potential drip over the top.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

These filters have a failsafe feature which will keep this from happening with one exception. In theory you cannot lock the input/output turret without the prefilter assembly being locked. The gotcha is that if you do not push the prefilter in securely you can still move the locking lever into the locked position. Then when you lock the input/output turret, which also opens the valves, water will siphon the tank out the now unsealed prefilter opening.

I have double-tap connectors on my input/output tubes but the real key is to always give the prefilter a tug after trying to lock it and before locking the input/outputs.

BTW. If it happens again just quickly unlock the input/output turret lever which will close those tubes and stop the siphon.
Thanks so much Tiger15. I didn't even think of unlocking the turret I was so panicked. My frazzled mind thought it would continue to drain, but in actuality it would close it off. Now that it's happened, I will double, triple, quadruple check. I usually make sure all connections are secure and by what my eyes were seeing, it was. I never walk away when I'm filling a tank because I've had so many instances of overflowing I can't count. And when I open the valve I'm always standing there until the water starts to push out into the tank and then I look once again to be sure and still I sit at my desk and watch it as it continues to fill the tank, 180 gal takes a while.

I appreciate your input. 😊

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Meh. I'm more worried about tank failure than a canister leak. Plumbing is plumbing. Plenty of examples of people destroying walls, stands with leaks from HOB's out there, too. IIRC, my Fluval HOB has an o-ring outside the aquarium, too. >90% of these leaks are operator error. I chalk the rest up to cheap equipment or lack of attentiveness.

Replace hoses when they get stiff, inspect seals, etc. and good canisters are plenty reliable.
I couldn't agree more. And this was operator error. I'm certainly not going to blame anything else, just that I didn't catch it when I did it. I was standing right next to it so I caught it early and had no damage. I've been in the fish hobby many decades and have only had issues with overflowing due to not paying attention. I maintain all my filters properly, mostly canister, but have a few HOB and have never had a problem before. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks Mourip. I quoted you and mentioned tiger15. sorry about that. :rolleyes: All good advice that I certainly will heed in the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts