The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently learned that my seriyu stone will.be forever leaching minerals. My GH has been at 12. I did a 50% water change yesterday and today my GH is 13.

Tap is 6. What's going on? What should I be doing?

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I recently learned that my seriyu stone will.be forever leaching minerals. My GH has been at 12. I did a 50% water change yesterday and today my GH is 13.

Tap is 6. What's going on? What should I be doing?
That stone will leach both dGH and dKH. So pH will keep rising as well.

Nothing you can do about it. If you don't want that to happen, then you would have to remove it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That stone will leach both dGH and dKH. So pH will keep rising as well.

Nothing you can do about it. If you don't want that to happen, then you would have to remove it.
I know but I figured after a 50% wc, it should be less. Closer to 10.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
That doesn't sound possible if your tap is 6. It show slowly creep back up during the week.
Re-read the post and agree.

My first guess is user error on measurement.

Did you test each when you did the WC? Just saying that dGH is not always consistent in tap water.

Something is going on. But either way I would be more worried about dKH changes. 10 or 14 dGH makes little difference in the scheme of things.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know but I figured after a 50% wc, it should be less. Closer to 10.
That doesn't sound possible if your tap is 6. It show slowly creep back up during the week.
It's 8 out of the tap, and I tested the day after the water change.
Re-read the post and agree.

My first guess is user error on measurement.

Did you test each when you did the WC? Just saying that dGH is not always consistent in tap water.

Something is going on. But either way I would be more worried about dKH changes. 10 or 14 dGH makes little difference in the scheme of things.
I didn't retest the tap water.. so if I understand you correctly, as long as there is seriyu stone, there is nothing I can do about the water hardness.. Correct?

If so, how will this effect my plants? My fish?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would like to know this as well. I have two endlicheri bichirs that will be having some blue seiryu rocks added to their tank in a few days. I hope it won’t be a combination that makes it incompatible.

Would the presence of driftwood offset this and help equalize things a bit?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts