The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Annual Water Quality Report

Here is my water report for the latest years. I will be using tap water to fill up my tank and do water changes. I am not spending money on RO/DI at all. So with that said, is my water hard or soft? Would it warrant need a GH booster addition in my dosing regiment? I have a heavily planted 12 gal long caradinia shrimp tank.

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
I only took a brief look at the report and didn't go into too much detail, but in the chart on the 4th page (or 7th, depending on how you count), I don't see anything that indicates water hardness.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Annual Water Quality Report

Here is my water report for the latest years. I will be using tap water to fill up my tank and do water changes. I am not spending money on RO/DI at all. So with that said, is my water hard or soft? Would it warrant need a GH booster addition in my dosing regiment? I have a heavily planted 12 gal long caradinia shrimp tank.
I agree with Darkblade. There isn't enough information on the reports you showed. However, home brewers need to know similar things about their water. Those forums are a great place to check if you don't have a full report. Here is a link to a post about Cary, NC. Home Brew Forums - View Single Post - Cary, NC Water Report

Na 28.7
Ca 8.4
Mg 2.98
Cl 20.8
Sulfate 31
Alkalinity (as CaCO3) 37.3

Based on that you have soft water. 1.9 dGH and 2 dKH.

Adding enough GH booster to raise GH 1-2 degrees could help. You're basically in that area where you could do either or. My philosophy is to add a little since it's not going to hurt anything anyway. Better to have more than enough than not enough.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Good idea to get a GH and KH test (often packaged together).

With water that soft you could keep fish that are most demanding of soft (low GH) conditions such as Chocolate and Licorice Gouramis, and breed Rams, and many other fish.

Also keep the specialized group of plants that demand low calcium levels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.