The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have recently bought a co2 cylinder and one of the co2 adjuster (that's the name on the box) from this brand called 'up aqua', I have connect it to a check valve, then into the bubble counter, then into the co2 diffuser in the tank. I turn off co2 at night, but the next morning the water will flow back through the co2 diffuser in the tank and into the bubble counter and even goes through the check valve, almost reaching the cylinder. Is there something that I did wrong in the setup?

The co2 adjuster I am talking about is on this link
http://www.up-aqua.com/00-dm-page/00up_dm-waterplant04-big.jpg
Model A-128-1 at the bottom.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is it possible that you have put the check valve on backwards? I would turn everything off, and test out which direction stops the flow of water.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
This is the CO2 in the line dissolving into the water from the tank, so the water is replacing the dissolved CO2, appearing to flow back to the tank. (And, it actually is flowing back towards the tank, but it should stop where ever the CO2 pressure is high - at the solenoid valve). The check valve is supposed to stop this from happening. In my opinion the check valve needs to be as close to the tank as you can get it, to be most effective, but not all check valves are equal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check valves are so cheaply made I don't trust them alone. I have learned years ago from when I used to breed S.A. Cichlids, never trust just one check valve alone. I ruined a few air pumps this way. I now install a minimum of 2 check valves, one a few inches from the other. Sometimes, on my more expensive equipment I use 3 in line. I have had some fail, but due to running more than 1, I have not had any more ruined equipment. I feel it's a CHEAP insurance policy that gives me and my wallet, ... peace of mind.

Bill

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you for all the replies, i have checked the original check valve was not place backward, so i replaced it with another one, but today after i have turned the co2 off, the water is still starting to go backwards, i guess this is normal as some of you stated. The only concern i have is what would happen once the water reach back to the co2 cylinder, as the water goes through the check valve itself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
thank you for all the replies, i have checked the original check valve was not place backward, so i replaced it with another one, but today after i have turned the co2 off, the water is still starting to go backwards, i guess this is normal as some of you stated. The only concern i have is what would happen once the water reach back to the co2 cylinder, as the water goes through the check valve itself.

try a different check valve and install several meters of tubing between the valve and the diffusor... just tie it in a loop and hang it behind the tank... i've done that and the length of tubing stops the water reaching the valve.

if the water is getting behind your check valve, the valve is of poor quality.

i have one that can with a c02 set and the water used to get to it (before i installed the extra tubing) but it never got past it.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Remember, the density of the gaseous CO2 downstream of the solenoid valve is very low - the pressure there is just barely above atmospheric pressure. But, on the other side of the solenoid valve, the pressure is around two atmospheres, so the density of the gas is much higher. Water can only dissolve a limited amount of CO2. That should mean that the water can't creep back, gulping down the CO2, any further than the solenoid valve, and it cannot ever get back to the CO2 bottle, where the pressure is about 40-50 atmospheres.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts