The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago I finished setting up a sump, a Trigger Systems Emerald 34. That same night I noticed the carpet was wet and realized I had problems. Had to stay home from work yesterday to disassemble and reassemble things. I'm confident I have the leak resolved. I think it was between 10-15 gallons that leaked, based on how low the water level was in the sump. The carpet all around the stand was very wet. I used a shop vac, steam cleaner and high powered floor ceiling fan to dry things out. Focusing behind the stand so I could put things back together. The carpet is still wet but drying. This weekend I'll have to go under the house and check the floor.

My question to the group is, how worried should I be about the carpet under the stand? Is it worth getting a second stand, moving the tank and equipment so I can check and probably dry the carpet under the stand? I could possibly cut out the bottom part of the stand since it's probably not weight bearing (but I'm not certain).

As information, It's a Marineland 75G Aquarium Majesty Ensemble.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I feel for you as I have done the same several times and with various results.
So one big thing is how the owner feels about remedies now or later? Another big factor is what is underneath the carpeting and what type of carpeting and pad. Do you know what the subfloor underneath is made up of and how the house might be built?
Worst case might be a particleboard layer in the mix. It tends to bubble and then gradually lose strength so that it is likely to require. I had tyhis in a lakeside vacation home that had been a mobile home at one point. BIG job!
But in a stick built home, you are more likely to find plywood if newish or 1X if a bit older. These made be expected to be on wooden beams and neither are too likely to be a great big problem.
The bigger question may be how you feel about mold. Currently mold is a super boogie man and may/may not be a big problem to you and your family. It is currently looked at as a large health issue but then I also doubt that there is any super strain of fungus/mold that was not around 50 years ago when most people did nothing to clear mold. Got allergy problems that mold may make worse? It may require carpet and pad replacement to clear the mold that is almost sure to follow in the more humid air of Virginia.

The carpeting under a stand is something that I almost write off as a loss when I set a tank. I KNOW that at some point there will be water spilled and it WILL be under the stand, soaking into the carpeting. So I do not go for worry when it happens but just assume it is a cost of the hobby and plan to repair/replace when/if I move or remodel.

Bummer but there are far worse things that will happen to most of us, even with the best of luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The carpet and pad are newish, about 2.5 years ago. The aquarium is on the first floor of the house and the flooring is plywood and wood beams. I've been the only owner. I'll get an idea of the flooring damage this weekend when I pay someone else to go into the crawl space. Just not my area. I definitely will go the route of drilling a few holes to dry the carpet underneath the stand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.