The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 27 gallon, lots of plants, lots of driftwood, lots of fish. (over stiocked right now due to babies, trying to sell some of the offspring).

I put a cheap aqua clear filter on the back just to provide added water clarity since there seems to be a lot of dust/dirt on plants, floating in the tank, etc. (Fluorite bottom with loaches and cory's?)

The hang-on-back provides water current. I have it set on high filtration and I watch some of my fish "float" by without having to swim - like the SAE. Not that they seem annoyed (no furrowed brows on fish though), or in any way worsened by it, and I know yoyo's for instance, are stream dwellers and prefer some current.

Just wondering if this sounds like too much though?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a lot of flow in my tanks to prevent any dead spots......

The fish who like the current swim in front of the powerhead all day. Some of the others find semi calm spots and calm spots to hang out.....

If your tank is heavily planted with driftwood and hardscape then there is plenty of areas where they can find to get out of the current

·
Registered
19 Posts
On this note .... do you always work out dead spots?

I have a 55 gallon planted tank. It has a relatively small filter and I do a lot of water changes. When cleaning and arranging things I notice water temp changes that seem pretty dramatic. My fish don't seem to mind. I thought a small powerhead in one corner would be useful, but I am concerned that it would churn too much of the substrate. What level in the tank would you place it in?

Thanx

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Jules Ann, how old is the tank? I ask because if the Flourite is old enough it will have biofilm which should help settle it down fast. Perhaps the fines haven't worked their way to the bottom yet. One can always add some floss on the top of the filter to do a little water polishing, if the filter has enough room.

Zensurgeon, what filter do you have in the 55 G? You should be able to put the powerhead mid level - at least. If you see substrate churning, move it up a bit. I have a second filter's outflow a few inches above the substrate. But its plumbed with a wide output (no spraybar) so the flow is more gentle. I've never had any probs with substrate being moved by it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Im old school...I have a Fluval 303 on my 60 with a powerhead on the opposite corner....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Zensurgeon, what filter do you have in the 55 G? You should be able to put the powerhead mid level - at least. If you see substrate churning, move it up a bit. I have a second filter's outflow a few inches above the substrate. But its plumbed with a wide output (no spraybar) so the flow is more gentle. I've never had any probs with substrate being moved by it.
I have a small filter. Its a HOB probably 200 GPH or so one side of the tank ... it 's actually one my first filters LOL ... pennplax or something. My two big aquaclears died this week ... the tank is black sand over fluorite. When I put my hand in to move things I can feel like a 10 degree difference in water temp. The fish don't seem to mind but they are bulletproof ones ... I am going to add a small powerhead on the opposite side.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. The fluorite is about 3 years old. Prtty settled except when replanting or vacuuming at water changes.

The fish don't seem to mind, and as said, there are calm spots, plenty of driftwood and plants for them to hide in.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Never too much current.....I have an xp3 on a 29g :) Fish love current, but it makes chasing down food a little tough ;)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I run 2 2026's and my fish sit in the current all day. Neverf too much in a planted tank IMO....julesann you should be fine.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I have a small filter. Its a HOB probably 200 GPH or so one side of the tank ... it 's actually one my first filters LOL ... pennplax or something. My two big aquaclears died this week ... the tank is black sand over fluorite. When I put my hand in to move things I can feel like a 10 degree difference in water temp. The fish don't seem to mind but they are bulletproof ones ... I am going to add a small powerhead on the opposite side.
You might consider popping for a canister. They really make keeping a tank clean a breeze. Once I tried one, I never looked back.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Everyone seems to being sayng FISH love current, but what about the plants?
I have two canisters running on my 55gallon. I JUST submerged the second spray bar. One spray bar is in the back right corner, pointed toward the right wall of the tank so it creates a circular movement in the right side of the tank.
The other is about 1/3 from the left and points against the back wall toward the left and creates a circular water flow on the left side. My only concern is it's creating too much surface movement to keep the CO2 levels up.
We'll see how it works out over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You might consider popping for a canister. They really make keeping a tank clean a breeze. Once I tried one, I never looked back.

I was thinking of adding my Fluvals. I have 2 of the old 300 series filters, but I became quite frustrated when trying to clean them. Now they sit in my basement, but I think I'm going to try them. At least I have a rack now with easy access and don't need to crawl under the tank cabinet.

As far as the surface turbulence, I think that by keeping the output under the water you should be OK.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Everyone seems to being sayng FISH love current, but what about the plants?
I have two canisters running on my 55gallon. I JUST submerged the second spray bar. One spray bar is in the back right corner, pointed toward the right wall of the tank so it creates a circular movement in the right side of the tank.
The other is about 1/3 from the left and points against the back wall toward the left and creates a circular water flow on the left side. My only concern is it's creating too much surface movement to keep the CO2 levels up.
We'll see how it works out over the next few weeks.
A fellow PTer gave me this suggestion a while ago and I and a few others run two filters this way with nice flow. On one side (pretend its the left) the spraybar is up high on a side. On the other side (say the right) the outflow is down low near the substrate (on this side's back wall near the corner) pointing out a little off the back wall. This creates a circular movement throughout the tank. The water from the spraybar goes all the way across the top of the tank and down the opposite side. And water from the second canister completes that flow pushing more water deeper in the tank back toward the spraybar side's intake. Both intakes are on back corners of the tanks. Watching floating plants or fish food, I've never seen any dead spots.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts