The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I would like to hear your thoughts about water current in a planted tank, Is it a good idea to have a faster flow that the current is strong or have a gentle flow.

What are the pros and con, Good for the plants or not sometimes too much current that the plants sway into one direction, what if you a HOB filter does that give you a good amount of current or do you use a power head. I just want to hear what you guys think.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I think current is very important. Let me think of a few reasons why.
First of all, especially in a CO2 injected tank, increased O2 is important for fish. Also many plants prefer the current, like Bolbitis spp. Also think of the potential problems dead spots in your tank can cause.....BGA....detritus build up. I would suggest you add a power head. It even makes for better fert ditribution throughout the water column. As long as you are not blasting your fish out of the water, or your plants to smithereens, youshoud add current.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
CO2 doesn't last very long at any one location in the tank, so you can't depend on gentle currents or diffusion to evenly spread it around the tank. A strong current that moves the water all over the tank, but not so strong that the fish are upset over it, is the best way to ensure good distribution of CO2 rich water to every plant. Also, it helps if the current causes a gentle surface movement of the water, which increases oxygen absorption from the air, and helps get some of the CO2 out at night when it isn't needed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thats interesting that you mention bga, fresh_lynny. I have a tiny bit of it that creeps up on my riccia right in the middle of my tank. I remove it and it keeps comming back. Just in one tiny spot. My current comes from my filter output only - from back left and around the front of the tank. Must be a dead spot. I guess thats a bad thing about having a small tank. I absolutley have no room for a powerhead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts