The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everytime I dose iron or flourish (specially iron) my water gets really cloudy. do you have any idea why?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm not sure about Flourish but if you dose iron with a UV running you could get cloudy water. But it generally goes away in a few hours or by the next day.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I remember this before and the reason was :in presence of KH2po4 ,Iron mixes with phosphate and make the water look cloudy temporarily.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Please excuse the following act of self indulgence, this is exactly what we discussed in chemistry today.

The cloudiness you see is a chemical reaction where a precipitate is forming. In fact without the cloudiness a precipitate is not forming. The following reaction is considered a single replacement reaction since the iron cation replaces the potassium cation and bonds with the PO4 anion. I am not sure what happens to the KH2 molecule.

KH2 Potassium dihydrogen
PO4 Phosphate ion
Fe III

The KH2PO4 molecule disassociates into KH2(aq) and PO4(aq). The iron then combines with the phosphate ion and forms FePO4(s). AKA-KH2PO4-> KH2(aq) + PO4(aq) + Fe -> KH2(aq) + FePO4(s).

Sorry I cannot balance the equation, I do not know what happens to KH2.

Does it disassociate into K + H2?

Am I even close, please let me know (I have a test on this material this Friday).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts