The Planted Tank Forum banner

Water cloudy and murky

923 4
I started a 32 gallon planted tank recently. I've had substrate and water in it for 2 weeks now. Substrate: organic soil capped with eco complete. I planted it about a week ago and the water is just as cloudy as day 1. I poured the water from the eco complete bag out before adding to tank. There are no fish yet. How long does the cloudy water last? Is it an algae/bacteria bloom? I'm scared its the soil and ill have an ongoing issue.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
My dirt tanks when cycling usually have that general cloud until I do a 90% water change after it finishes cycling which is the second water change since filling the tank the first being immediately after filling. It really helps to soak the soil prior to putting it in the tank but either way it seems to go away after a large water change in a newish dirt tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I started a 32 gallon planted tank recently. I've had substrate and water in it for 2 weeks now. Substrate: organic soil capped with eco complete. I planted it about a week ago and the water is just as cloudy as day 1. I poured the water from the eco complete bag out before adding to tank. There are no fish yet. How long does the cloudy water last? Is it an algae/bacteria bloom? I'm scared its the soil and ill have an ongoing issue.

How many inches did you cap? I have at least 3 inches of eco complete over the potted soil. The tank is a little cloudy -
I’m in my first few days and just turned on a canister filter so we’ll see how it looks after the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many inches did you cap? I have at least 3 inches of eco complete over the potted soil. The tank is a little cloudy -
I’m in my first few days and just turned on a canister filter so we’ll see how it looks after the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I capped about 2" of eco mixed with a little plain black gravel. I probably should have added a little more. The water is starting to clear up now that I have more plants and its been cycling a bit. Your tank looks great

Bump:
Your fears may be true. Eco isn’t the best for capping soil and may be allowing it to leach into the water column.
Oh no that makes me nervous! Time will tell I guess. I've noticed the water clear up a bit. We shall see. If anything I could add a bit more eco or black gravel down the line. Might be a pain though...

Bump:
My dirt tanks when cycling usually have that general cloud until I do a 90% water change after it finishes cycling which is the second water change since filling the tank the first being immediately after filling. It really helps to soak the soil prior to putting it in the tank but either way it seems to go away after a large water change in a newish dirt tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My water is starting to clear up. But now I have some black brush/beard algae. I'm guessing from the high amount of organic matter in the water from soil. Its always something lately

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.