The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post here. I hope it is in the right spot. I am very new to planted aquariums and wanted to stay in the low light low tech side of things as budget is very important.
My light is:
24in
T8
20w
Powerglow
http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/20w-power-glo-fluorescent-bulb-24inch-a1626.html

Tank is:
36 gallon Bowfront
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3804459&lmdn=Shape

My water tests all in the normal range, but the water is on the "very hard" side.(City water dechlorinated).
The water isn't cloudy, it is more hazy and my kids just call it the "Heavenly glow" and I called it tinted and refer to the claritin commercial, where there is "Clear" and "Claritin clear" and it is like removing a film to enhance colors.

This is the best pic I could get with my phone, a little grainy but the "haze" can be seen.

Thank you for any help offered and this seems to be a great community here!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Well Captain Crash, if it's a newly-set up tank, within a few weeks or so, it's probably a normal occurence - "new tank syndrome" - it will likely dissipate with time as the tank ages & matures. Meantime though, you may want to consider adding a bag of Seachem Purigen to your filter - this can work wonders clarifying water - and in just a few days too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tank was set-up about 6-7 weeks ago. The substrate is gravel purchased from pet-smart (Thoroughly rinsed) the filter is Quiet Flow 30 Power Filter. (Aqueon, came with the tank as a full kit).

The plants are:
1 water sprite
1 anubias
2 Java ferns

Thanks for the fast replies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also new here and only set up my two small tanks two months ago. I also had same problem in my 10g tank around the third week. Basically I did a 30%-40% water change almost every 1 or 2 days. The problem last one week and suddenly the water was cleared. I have no idea what happened but it was cleared in one day... After that the water remains clear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be trying the Seachem Purigen in my filter, and if that doesn't work I am probably going to be doing some water changes and using distilled water from the grocery store and see how that works.
Thanks for the tips everyone!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I wouldn't use distilled water. That's going to seriously change your water parameters, make your water softer, and be bad for your fish- especially your livebearers.

I suspect it's either green water or a bacteria bloom.

How long are your tank lights on each day? Is the tank near a window/does it get any direct sunlight?

Have you made any big changes in the tank recently (added fish, cleaned or changed a filter, etc)?

Would you double check your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings and post those?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't use distilled water. That's going to seriously change your water parameters, make your water softer, and be bad for your fish- especially your livebearers.

I suspect it's either green water or a bacteria bloom.

How long are your tank lights on each day? Is the tank near a window/does it get any direct sunlight?

Have you made any big changes in the tank recently (added fish, cleaned or changed a filter, etc)?

Would you double check your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings and post those?
Noted about the distilled water, ty :)

I changed my filter yesterday, but the tank has looked like this since it was filled. I thought it would clear up thru the filter after a few days and it hasn't gotten better or worse and my fish appear to be fine, eating fine, active, non aggressive, colorations look fine. I actually thought it might be a light issue and bought a new light as well but it looks the same (Not a total waste tho still a better light) I did have a piece of hornwart in the tank that died after a few weeks tho.

My tank lights are on anywhere from 8-10 hours a day. It doesn't get direct sunlight, only ambient light from the curtains being opened.

I use test strips that give me colors to match for my ammonia, nitrates and nitrites levels.(imma noob I know) They all test well within the normal range, but as for actual numbers I would have to get a different test kit.
http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=16600
Link is for illustration purposes only. Never shopped there.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I think just about everyone has had that issue at some point. Just keep up with regular 20% or so weekly water changes using a consistent water source. Eventually things will settle down. Sometimes it can take a few months. As soon as your cycle completes, if you don't add a bunch of fish, your water should clear up shortly afterward.

As far as changing your filter...do you mean you swap out the cartridge for a brand new one?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I personally don't trust those test strips in the least.

I think this is most likely a bacteria bloom triggered by the ammonia/nitrite spike as your tank and now also new filter cycle.

I'd do big daily water changes (30-50% plus) till you can get some drop test kits to be sure what's going on with your water quality.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Depends on the cartridge but they should last at least 2 months or longer.
If it starts to look cruddy (obvious chunks of gunk, not just brown) between changes rinse it in a bucket of old tank water.

Never change it at the same time you do a water change.

The filter cartridge is home to tons of beneficial bacteria.

The replacement schedule on the box is because the company want to make money. There are some cartridges I have used some cartridges (white pouch of filter fabric with grid that goes inside along with carbon) that fell apart after about a month , but I have had others (blue fabric with black plastic backing with carbon inside) that would last at least 4 months

Tank is only setup for 6-8 weeks and you just replaced the filter media so most likely the haze is a bacterial bloom and will go away once the beneficial bacteria has recovered.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Lauralee is correct, that cloudiness is from your nitrogen cycle starting over from replacing your filters. Kamikaze is also absolutely right. That is why I asked if you were replacing the whole cartridge. Since most hang on back power filters use carbon filled cartridges, you would be best to not bother refilling those,and instead, spend a few bucks on a big bag of marineland blue and white filter floss. It's very easy to find and works better than the carbon filled things. That carbon is only good for a VERY short period of time, then it stops absorbing and just wastes space. Get some filter floss, cut it to shape, and just use that. The instructions on the box of the cartridges will only guarantee you spending tons of money, and never having a stable tank. Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Lauralee is correct, that cloudiness is from your nitrogen cycle starting over from replacing your filters. Kamikaze is also absolutely right. That is why I asked if you were replacing the whole cartridge. Since most hang on back power filters use carbon filled cartridges, you would be best to not bother refilling those,and instead, spend a few bucks on a big bag of marineland blue and white filter floss. It's very easy to find and works better than the carbon filled things. That carbon is only good for a VERY short period of time, then it stops absorbing and just wastes space. Get some filter floss, cut it to shape, and just use that. The instructions on the box of the cartridges will only guarantee you spending tons of money, and never having a stable tank. Best of luck!
excellent advice on the filter floss. when it gets cruddy, just squeeze it out in bucket of old tank water.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I use pillow stuffing, dollar store sponges, and Eheim bio substrate stuff in my HOB filters. You don't need to spend big money and I replace almost never! Just take it out and rinse in old tank water.
If you do end up using SEACHEM PURIGEN you will see results in less than a day! (It cleared up my tank of tannins in 6 hours.) Make sure to buy "THE BAG" or you will have a nice mess in your tank. Also when you recharge the PURIGEN use only pure bleach, nothing with a scent or anything else in it.
This problem is solved!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a heads up. I started with the least exspensive method first and performed a 40% water change and the following day the water is already more clear. A picture from my phone probably won"t do it justice. But it is working I will be making some of the other changes mentioned when payday rolls around to start having a more stable and consistant tank. Ty again all!

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.