The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster looking for some advice...

I want to convert my 15G I have into a low tech planted tank. I want to know if with a low tech tank, do I still need to have at least 10x gph? So if I have a 15G, should i try to get around 150gph water movement in my tank?

I currently have an AquaClear 20 HOB (rated for 100gph) but I know it doesn't come anywhere near the 100gph. I'm assuming around 50gph. So if I were to pick up a powerhead, that would put me over the 150gph. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Hello shiny...

Provided you do frequent and large water changes, you only need a power filter with a gallons per hour (gph) rating six times the volume of your tank. An AquaClear 20 would be fine for a 15 G tank.

B

·
Registered
745 Posts
its a generalization really...the 10x is not set in stone, you just want to avoid dead spots (sections without circulation) because you can get buildups of debris or algae and the nutrients arent distributed evenly through your tank

...I run 4-5x tank volume in my tanks and have no problems

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
its a generalization really...the 10x is not set in stone, you just want to avoid dead spots (sections without circulation) because you can get buildups of debris or algae and the nutrients arent distributed evenly through your tank

...I run 4-5x tank volume in my tanks and have no problems
My tank has this dead spots you speak of. Behind my driftwood is dead leaves and discarded shrimp skin. Nothing grows behind in that area except for the tall plant that reaches high above the driftwood, and even still its lower leaves are dying off. All other plants are rotting mid stem. could I add one of those little fans to move water in that direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.