The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The thing about test kits is that if you have them you want to use them. And, if you use them you want to react to what they tell you. My preference is to remain in the dark about my parameters unless I find a good reason to want to know them. So, I haven't measured my tank water for anything at all for many months.

Once I found that both plants and fish like my tap water, I saw no reason to question their likes. I do understand that many others have a different opinion about this, which is no problem to me. There are different ways to do a planted tank.

One thing that needs to always be kept in mind is that test kits are only meaningful when you calibrate them before using them. Otherwise you can only tell that a parameter has changed when the test result changes (or the test kit has changed) but you don't know what the actual values are. No professional who tests or measures anything ever does so without having the test device, kit or whatever he uses calibrated first, even if he spent $10,000 for it. So, we, who spend $20 for our test kits, surely need to do the same before relying on the results to make any decisions.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts