The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An unusual situation: I recently noticed a white chalky substance that has precipitated on my gravel and glass. Accompanying this was a drop in KH, so I am suspecting that something has caused my carbonates to precipitate. Does anyone know what may have caused this?

The only thing I can imagine is that it would have something to do with the plant fertilizers I am using: small amounts of dry macronutrients (Potassium Nitrate, Monopotassium Phospate, Potassium Sulfate) and traces. Could an imbalance or overdose of one of those caused this precipitation?

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
What kind of plants do you have?

Some species are reported to perform biogenic decalcification whereby they can obtain carbon from molecules that contribute to kH, resulting in the phenomenon you have described.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of plants do you have?

Some species are reported to perform biogenic decalcification whereby they can obtain carbon from molecules that contribute to kH, resulting in the phenomenon you have described.

I have anacharis and a moss ball. I know anacharis can pull carbon from the carbonate, but it seems strange that this would happen all at once after the KH had been stable. Also, if the anacharis was consuming the carbon, what would be the substance that was precipitated--the calcium?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KH2PO4 dosed together with traces containing iron can result in the phosphorus and iron bonding and falling out of solution. Not sure about the color though.
Interesting. I did overeagerly fertilize a few things together after doing a large water change the other day...I'm assuming that something happened as a result (and I learned my lesson and won't do it again :)). But if phosphorous bound to iron, why would my KH have dropped?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have anacharis and a moss ball. I know anacharis can pull carbon from the carbonate, but it seems strange that this would happen all at once after the KH had been stable. Also, if the anacharis was consuming the carbon, what would be the substance that was precipitated--the calcium?
I found another guy's post on this forum in which he said adding too much iron caused iron carbonate to precipitate...I assume iron is included in my trace fertilizer.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I found another guy's post on this forum in which he said adding too much iron caused iron carbonate to precipitate...I assume iron is included in my trace fertilizer.
Iron is in your trace fertilizer. You would really have to be dosing a lot to precipitate out FeCO3 with the iron in your trace unless your KH is pretty high. Usually a problem for people with a KH in the 10 to 12 range.

But it is possible and would correlate with your witnessed precipitate and your witnessed drop in KH.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Iron is in your trace fertilizer. You would really have to be dosing a lot to precipitate out FeCO3 with the iron in your trace unless your KH is pretty high. Usually a problem for people with a KH in the 10 to 12 range.

But it is possible and would correlate with your witnessed precipitate and your witnessed drop in KH.

No, my KH is normally around 4 or 5. I've done a couple water changes to get the KH up a bit, and I'll see if it holds. It's possible I miscalculated when I mixed the trace, I'll re-mix before I dose again.

·
Registered
320 Posts
When I was overdosing PO4 so much, I got what I thought it was
Calcium Phosphate as precipitation in CO2 reactor.

But the precipitation shouldn't cause KH to drop (I'm not sure here).
Since the Ca was from CaSO4 I dosed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK all....thanks for all your advice. From a bit of my own research, I'm fairly sure that I am seeing the results of biogenic decalcification....so, how do I stop this from happening? Less nutrients? Inject CO2? Less light? Get rid of the anacharis?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Add CO2.
Plants prefer CO2 as the easiest source of C. That you are seeing the results of them attempting to get C in other ways shows that they are having to work harder, that C in the form of CO2 is not available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.