The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys do water changes? I don't know how to make a poll, otherwise I'd do one of those. But anyway, I know that a lot of you have pythons. I was wondering whether or not you age or dechlor the water when using the pythons since it runs straight from the faucet. Those of you who age water: What kind of container do you use, and how do you get it into the tank? I'm really tired of buckets and siphons, but I'm not sure how to age water with pythons.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
The search function is your friend.

The smart people use a Python or something similar.

You treat the water. Just add the water treatment to the tank and fill. I use Prime. You dose the entire tank volume.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah ok, I was under the impression that it is not ok to dose prime straight into the tank

·
Registered
930 Posts
There is no harm in dosing prime directly into the tank. I have been doing it and nothing negative came out of it.

I used to age water but its a horrible mess! Calcium deposies sson build up after many times of aging and having to aggitate the water with a pump or however.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have really high pH water out of the tap, and I've read that if you age water and aerate with a pump with a sack of peat it will lower the pH. Any thoughts on whether this is a good/bad idea?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd love to have r.o., but I don't have the money for it. Does anyone know if the peat method actually works?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I use a python right into the tank with prime right after it with no ill effects for a year now.

What is high PH? 7.5-8.5? If your trying to lower your ph for your fish dont bother most fish will adapt to a wide ph.
The peat will work but only if your KH is low otherwise the buffer will keep the peat from working.

This is what I understand.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to my town's report, our water's pH is 9.3. According to my own test kit, the water is 8.4. I am not sure what the kH is, I need to go get a kit. So you think the fish will be ok? I don't have anything particularly hard to keep, but most of the fish prefer soft water.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If you can pop for it, pressurized CO2 will lower you pH nicely and keep it there. You can get a regulator all in one (with needle valve/solenoid/ bubble counter) for about $75, build a $15 DIY PVC reactor, and get a 5 or 10lb tank of gas for about 80-90 dollars. An investment, but opens your options on plants and fish tremendously.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts